Help with Social Theme

(BTW, couldn't find Social Theme under "Pick a plugin or theme")

Getting started using the social theme and trying to tweak it to my needs. Have a few questions that I'm hoping to get some help with. As you can probably figure from the questions, I'm only going to have one group on the site. I have the autojoin created, but now I'm trying to hide other references to groups. I've found SOME directions and made progress, but there's a few specific places I'm still having issues. Would really appreciate some help on the rest!

1) I'm using the Achievements plugin. For some reason, when I create an Event award and try to Give it, there's no list of users appearing to give it to. I'm sure it's a CSS issue, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to that. Any idea how to tweak it to fix that?

2) When you click on a user, you get taken to the members/username/ page. I'd like people to be sent to members/username/profile/ How do you redirect them? I found a redirect plugin, but that's a redirect for the home page upon login. Not what I'm looking for.

3) Members and Forums are currently grouped under Community. I'd like to break them out instead of having them be a drop down. I can see that it's under Navigation, but can't figure out exactly what to do in order to fix it. I've tried commenting out a few things, but keep breaking the style of the menu.

4) Along the top, in the nav bar that says Welcome Back, USERNAME and then has lists of the different sections, I want to hide the one that says "Groups (x)". Can't for the life of me figure out where that is or how to do it.

5) In the Activity stream, whenever something some things get posted, it adds the text "was posted in group XXXXXX". I'd like to hide that. Any idea where I can find that or how to do it?

(Sense a theme here?)

6) Upon clicking on a user, there is a Groups tab and a Groups filter. Is there any way to hide those?

Thanks in advance, appreciate any help or advice!

• Mason

Hiya teach42,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

(BTW, couldn't find Social Theme under "Pick a plugin or theme")

Thanks for letting us know! I'll have Richie look into why that would be. :smiley:

As a general principal, I'm curious as to why you're wanting to use groups at all if there's only one, mandatory group. This function really has an on/off toggle in BuddyPress and by not using BuddyPress groups (but keeping the global forums for example) I think you could achieve similar or the same results without the added complexity of using gruops - and then hiding their reference.

That being said, I'll provide some guidance here and Richie can chime in with some theme-specific options as well.

1. Can we get a link? If we need a login then we'd need to get that as well. CSS issues and the like are much easier to solve when we can take a peak at the code.

2. This is something that is default to BuddyPress. To change this we'd have to modify the theme files. While this is doable, it's important to note that any update to the theme would then revert these changes. If you're still interested, we'd be happy to provide some further guidance though :smiley:

3. I'll ask Richie (the theme designer) to comment on this one. I haven't had a chance to get up to speed on the latest edition of the them and how it handles dropdown navigation.

4. Richie may need to comment here as well. This menu is created using the bp_get_loggedin_user_nav function which is default to BuddyPress as well.

5. & 6. are both default to BuddyPress and would require pretty heavy theme edits. You'd need to basically do a 'find and replace' throughout the theme files and remove these reference in the activity streams and navigation areas.

Again, my 2 cents is that this may not be the best approach to get the results you want, but hopefully the steps above will help if you want to continue this route.

Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya teach42,

You're right that they were tightly integrated in 1.2 of BuddyPress. Thankfully, they are being separated out again in 1.3 (which is due in about 4 weeks). With this and the imminent release of WordPress 3.1 (which also contains some pretty massive changes) I honestly think it might be best to hold off on this if at all possible.

You should be able to do exactly what you want without making all of these customizations AND you'll get the added benefit of being able to upgrade your themes without fear of losing all the individual customizations.

If it needs to happen now though, it does look like all the individual changes we were referring to would need to be done, and in that case, you'll probably want to hire a developer to make it happen for ya.

Hope this helps somewhat. Sorry it's not an easier answer! :smiley:

Thanks!

• Richie_KS

1) I'm using the Achievements plugin. For some reason, when I create an...
    - will check this

2) When you click on a user, you get taken to the members/username/ page. I'd like people to be sent to members/username/profile/

open wp-config.php and add this
    define( 'BP_DEFAULT_COMPONENT', $bp->default_component = 'profile' );

3) Members and Forums are currently grouped under Community. I'd like to break them out instead..
    replace the attach navigation.php with your current one...

4) Along the top, in the nav bar that says Welcome Back, USERNAME and then has lists of the different sections, I want to hide the one that says "Groups (x)"....
    that's a core functions, you can't delete them..however you can still hide them..add this css to your custom.css
    #htop li span { display: none; }

5) In the Activity stream, whenever something some things get posted, it adds the text "was posted in group XXXXXX". I'd like to hide that. Any idea where I can find that or how to do it?
    you need to hack the activity core...not recommeded tho..can't seem to hide them with css either..

6) Upon clicking on a user, there is a Groups tab and a Groups filter. Is there any way to hide those?
    not sure...try add this css to custom.css
    #groups-personal-li { display: none; }

cheers

• teach42

Looking through the solutions provided, and MANY thanks for those.

But for those having issues with Achievements, in the meantime I've got a work around.

Go to the themes page and preview a new theme. It'll do that pop up version without activating it. Use the default BuddyPress theme. Thing about that preview is that you can navigate around in it! So navigate over to achievements, click on Give and you'll see the full list of people and be able ot give out the achievement.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it DOES work and until a fix is in, may help some people out.

@masonjames Unfortunately I need the site going right now and can't wait for 1.3. That said, sounds like @richie_ks may have given me enough to go on right now. Thanks for all the support!

• Mason

Hiya,

A) Are you using a child theme to make your changes? If so you can just copy/paste the code into your style.css in the child directory. If not, you'll need to go to bp-social/_inc/css/custom-sample.css to enter your code modifications. This will keep things in a separate spot to make for easier upgrades.

B) We'll have to get Richie to respond to this one as he'll know best.

Glad to hear progress is happening! :slight_smile:

• teach42

For the record...

You all were right, I was wrong. Groups are a good thing. And people are thrilled to be using them.

I'm not a huge fan of the Activity part of Groups, so I hid that and defaulted it to the forum listing, but I did want to go on record that I have completely aborted my mission to hide groups completely and have now embraced the love that is Groups.

And I noticed that in the last Social update, there were fixes for the Achievements issue, and a few other issues that I had yet to report in! Nice job!

And thanks again for all the advice.