Help with User Role Editor Displaying the Visual Text Editor Properly

Hi guys,

We're setting up WP to enable 10 writers to publish their own blogs. I'm doing this using "User Role Editor" but have anareas I need help with please...

1. At the moment the author permission I have set up is enabling the writers to edit and submit posts for review but it's not showing them the complete visual editor bar. It doesn't show them the area where you can adjust the heading to H1,H2,H3 etc or paste in as plain text.

The bar highlighted in yellow is the one I want to show up. Does anyone know the capability for this? I've posted on the plugin support page too but no answer yet.
http://prntscr.com/7jyhi2

I've tested the standard "editor" role and it doesn't show up for editors either. It's really crucial I can give the writers the ability to paste in content as plain text so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

• Patrick

Hey there @Adam Wallis

I hope you had a great weekend!

Both the default "author" & "editor" roles in WordPress have full access to all elements in the visual editor.

So, if when testing with those default roles, you are not seeing that secondary toolbar, there may be something else conflicting with its display.

Please temporarily deactivate the User Role Editor plugin to see if that 2nd bar then appears.

Do you have any other plugin active on your site that modifies the visual/TinyMCE editor in any way?

Have you tested for possible conflicts by implementing troubleshootprot

• Patrick

Hey there @Adam Wallis

I hope you had a great weekend!

Both the default "author" & "editor" roles in WordPress have full access to all elements in the visual editor.

So, if when testing with those default roles, you are not seeing that secondary toolbar, there may be something else conflicting with its display.

Please temporarily deactivate the User Role Editor plugin to see if that 2nd bar then appears.

Do you have any other plugin active on your site that modifies the visual/TinyMCE editor in any way?

Have you tested for possible conflicts by implementing basic troubleshooting protocol as illustrated at the bottom of this page?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

• Adam Wallis

Hi Patrick, thanks I've turned off the plugin but still the second visual text editor bar isn't showing up. How would I know if there is a plugin that modifies the visual/TinyMCE editor?

We do have a layer slider plugin installed and that icon does show up on the second bar of the text editor.

Unfortunately as our site is live I can't deactivate and reactivate the plugins that show up on the front end easily.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks Patrick

• Adam Wallis

I've also tried changing the permission on the layerslider so it includes authors and editors as the Layerslider icon does appear on the second text editor bar. That hasn't worked either unfortunately. I did delete a plugin 123 contact form that placed an icon on the first text editor bar but that hasn't enabled the second editor bar either. Bit of a loss at the moment :slight_smile:

I've attached a screen shot of what I am seeing and what I want to so

• Adam Wallis

This is a list of our active plugins in case you can see any obvious conflicts that I can't

WP Smush Pro
    WPMU DEV Dashboard
    WP Email Template LITE
    WP-Pro-Quiz
    WhatsApp Share Button
    W3 Total Cache
    User Role Editor
    Ultimate Maintenance Mode
    Snapshot
    Simple Custom CSS
    s2Member Framework
    Remember Me Controls
    Real-Time Find and Replace
    Nav Menu Roles
    myCRED
    Lazy Load
    LayerSlider WP
    Google Analytics +
    Fusion Core
    Flamingo
    Featured Images in RSS w/ Size and Position
    Duplicate Post
    Contact Form 7 - Dynamic Text Extension
    Contact Form 7
    Akismet

• Sajid

Hi @Adam Wallis! Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Its hard to guess which plugin in the list you provided is conflicting with second bar of TinyMCE visual editor. The only option to figure which plugin is conflicting is doing a quick plugin conflict test as illustrated in getting started manual.

Well by default WordPress do not display second line of TinyMCE visual. You have to click on kitchen menu icon (pointed in screenshot) to display the second row.

If its still not working then, I suggest you please create a sandbox/staging website so we can troubleshoot. Its not only important for plugin testing but also its recommended to test new plugins and updates on staging sites before pushing it to public. Because if something went wrong, your live site breaks. This would cause errors which can be a problem for established sites because it can affect search engine rankings, sales, first impression on users, etc.

Here is a good tutorial to create staging site for your live website.
    https://maintainn.com/2015/02/how-to-create-a-staging-site-for-wordpress/

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.