Hi. Three part question re: Q&A Plug

1) The q&a text is center-justified, even though left-justified is selected in the Questions Settings panel. How can I fix this to be left-justified?

2) When I click Add A New Answer from the back end, it takes me to a "page not found" error on my page, versus an editor within the backend like it would when I click "Add a New Question". The only way I've found to answer is by going through the front end. Must be a setting error, but I don't see any place to set what url the back end is pointing me to, and breaking, when I click the Add New Answer in backend.

3) Are there other pages created by the Q&A plugin I can link to in Navigation, etc. like /questions and /questions/ask?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Brian,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

1: It sounds like some css may be overriding this, could I get a link to the page to take a look? :slight_smile:

2: Don't worry it's not you or the settings :slight_smile: Out of the box, Answers is a separate post type and can't be added from the admin side, the add new should only show when your editing a answer admin-side, but that shouldn't technically show.

I could add that as a feature request if you'd like? :slight_smile:

3: The only pages created by Q&A are the /questions /questions/ask and then questions/unanswered/

There is also the profile pages that are created for each user :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Brian

Hi Jack. Thanks for the response. The page is http://kitchenbreakdown.com/questions/ See how the titles of questions are sort of all over the place, alignment wise? I'd like those to all be left justified ideally, or just aligned at center at minimum. Best I can tell, the titles are being pushed "to the right" based on how much room the tags need. Is that correct? I'm using your Studio theme.

Also, the actual Q&A body text is defaulting to center justification. I'm getting around that by manually editing each one, select all, left justify, update, but it would be better to default to left and save that time.

That would be a cool feature to have. It's a need for me b/c I've got a ton of Q&A content I'm migrating in from old property for site launch. As is, I'm using the front end, captcha, etc.

Thanks also on #3.

Brian

• Brian

Thanks Jack. I'll do a little research on how to insert the css. I'm new to CSS customization, though I understand code structure in general so I don't think it should be too tough. Does it need a curly brace at the beginning too?

I think I may have been turned around on the custom header issue, though I am still confused. I thought that the info you enter in the "Header" section of the plugin settings would be what appeared in the "custom header" section that you can select to turn on or off in scripts settings.

On my page, and I guess this is the way it's supposed to be, the "call to action" content entered in the Header settings area is in the element called strapline.

When I turn on the custom header script, I'm seeing an empty white rectangle below the header, nav and BuddyPress tab, above the slackline. This box is called custom header when I inspect it. So I guess what I need to know is where do you edit what goes in the custom header box, since it's not the "call to action" content. Is that just for an ad unit plugin to access? I thought it might have been for the "Sign Up Box" script, because I can't find that appearing on any of my pages when turned on. But it doesn't show up in custom header. Not sure where it's going. Does this make sense? Sorry for the confusion.

• Brian

The center justification on the individual question page headers is growing on me. I think we can scratch that. So, the consolidated list is:
    - How to edit content that appears in Custom Header vs current white box
    - Where does the Sign Up Box appear?
    - How to set Q&A body text to be left justified without manual editing in wysiwyg editor
    - How to eliminate the gap between "Tags" text and input field on question form (just above the captcha area), or insert text in there like "separate multiple tags with commas"?

Thanks. I hope it's ok to consolidate these questions like this into one thread. Easier than tracking a bunch of threads.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Brian,

Hope you're well today, just gone through this and for the following.

- How to set Q&A body text to be left justified without manual editing in wysiwyg editor
    - How to eliminate the gap between "Tags" text and input field on question form (just above the captcha area), or insert text in there like "separate multiple tags with commas"?

You can use the following css :slight_smile:

#single-question-container {
    	text-align: left;
    }

#question-tags {
    	margin-left: -260px;
    }

For the sign up issue and custom header issue, I believe that relates to your theme right and not Q&A?

I know it's one of ours :slight_smile: So are you just looking at changing what's in the custom header correct? Here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Brian

Thanks Jack! So that CSS goes in the same field as the other, within questions > setting, right?

Also, I figured out the signup box after some more trial and error.

So, yeah, that just leaves the issue of the custom header. And you're right, that's within the settings for Studio, not Q&A. I think I've been merging the two a bit in my mind. Sorry for the confusion. Yeah, I see where you can turn it on or off, I just can't figure out how to add anything to it. Currently I just get an empty white box when it's turned on.

Also, if it's ok, I have one other question at the moment that I discovered last night.
    I want viewers to be able to sort questions by category, since the Q&A knowledge base will be huge once I get everything migrated over. When I link to a question category page, either through the widget, or by assigning the url directly to a nav tab, it does indeed take visitor to an "archive" page that contains the questions in the appropriate category. The only problem is, the page "title" says "You are browsing the archive for ." Doesn't actually include the Category title. So, unless you know what you just clicked, it's not really obvious where you ended up. Make sense? How can I either A) have it pull the category title in, or ideally B) have it pull the category name in, but also modify the text to say something like "You are viewing Q&A in the (insert category here) category".

Thanks Jack!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Brian,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your additional questions.

Yep, that's right, the css can go in that same field :slight_smile:

I just checked the header issue and when you enable the custom header, that is then set in appearance > header :slight_smile:

On the archive, you'll need to create a custom blog archive for the questions post type, there's a great guide here http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-an-archives-page-in-wordpress/ :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Brian

Thanks Jack. I guess it's just the functionality of the header that seems weird. While I can change the look of the box by adding a graphic, I don't see why I'd want to add an extra rectangle of image between the page header and the call to action. I was hoping it would allow me to use a graphic on the actual page header, or even in the "strapline" behind the call to action. Guess I'll just leave it off.

On the question of the archive, how will Q&A know to point category/tag searches to that archive? I'm just trying to fix the incomplete "title" that you get by default. Check out the screen shot for an example.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Brian,

Hope you're well today, The functionality of that custom header isn't quite how what I expected either :slight_smile:

The issue with the archives is a theme issue with the Studio theme (tested in twenty thirteen) and it's working fine in that.

Could you open up a new thread for the studio theme issues and then we can get the developer to take a look :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.