BuddyPress Hidden & Private Group quesiton

Is it possible to combine some features of hidden group and prviate group? Like this:

1. These group names and descriptions are not listed in sitewide directories, and their contents are accessible only to members of the group, which includes group forums under this group.

2. Members of my broader BuddyPress community can request membership to this hidden group, which can only be granted by a group administrator. You may ask: since the group is unlisted, where does people go to and request membership? My thinking is someone can send other people the link to the group, and when other people click on the link, the web page will say: this group is private, click here to request a membership.

So, in short, it is a combination of hidden group and private group function. Can this be done?

Maybe:
Idea 1, give private group one more option: check here to hide this group from listing.
Idea 2, give hidden group one more option: check here to allow membership request.
Which idea is easy to do? Or maybe there are other better ideas :slight_smile: Please advise.

Official information from buddypress.org:
http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/group-settings-and-roles/

Privacy Options
When creating a group, you have the option of making your group Public, Private, or Hidden.

1.Public groups are visible in all group directories. The contents of the group – activity updates, forum posts, and any additional group functionality you might add through plugins – is publicly accessible. Anyone in your BuddyPress community can join a Public group.
2.Private groups are also visible in group directories. The group name and group description remain available for all to see. However, the contents of the group are accessible only to members. Moreover, group membership is controlled: members of your broader BuddyPress community must request membership, which can only be granted by a group administrator.
3.Hidden groups are invisible to non-members. These group names and descriptions are not listed in sitewide directories, and their contents are accessible only to members of the group. Because the group is unlisted, users cannot request membership. Instead, individuals can only join the group by invitation.

• winning
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes.

People can send/share the link to the hidden group (on a webiste or in email), and, on that linked page, there is a button or anchor text says "clidk to request member to join the private group". If someone is insterested joining, she/he will click and request a membership.

Can this be done?

p.s. On the document of buddy press about hidden groups, they say "users cannot request membership. Instead, individuals can only join the group by invitation." - which is not what I want. I really want users still are able to request membership.

p.p.s So it is a hidden group that allows user to requrest membership. Or it is a private group that is hidden (not listed in groups directories ), and group forums of this group are also hidden (not listed in forum directory).

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Does the group really need to be hidden or can you create a Private Group and allow your members to use Email Invite to relay a code or link required to authenticate the invite?

Or perhaps you can create the Hidden group then Tweak the above? I believe you can also set your site to allow user signups but they must be approved by admin first. This may be another option?

Thoughts?

• winning

Yes, some of the groups have to be hidden - not searchable and not listed in the directory. Only people know the direct link (or being a memeber) can see/know it is there. At the same time, for people who knows the direct link, they can request membership for that linked page.

How can I do it?

Either:
    how to make a hidden group to allow "request membership"?

Or:
    how to hide a private group? so it is not listed in the directory, and not searchable.

Thanks and look forward to a solution or ideas :slight_smile:

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

From what I'm reading Buddypress only displays Public Forums to non-logged-in users...

So I'm assuming that you are trying to hide the private group from logged in users as well?

I've been doing some digging and cannot find anything besides some code adjustments to do what you're asking. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas! But I'll keep looking in the meantime :slight_smile:

• winning

Yes, I want to "to hide the private group from logged in users as well". Pretty much it is a "modified hidden group" that should allow people request membership if people know the direct liink to the group page.

Anyone knows how to do it?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.