Hide BuddyPress Member Directory

Hi, I don't want the list of members available to visitors OR registered members of my site. Right now it's all that's included under Community. I guess I can't use BuddyPress without the Community tab. Maybe I can stick something else in there... Or maybe I don't even need BuddyPress. Maybe just WordPress and Membership. Can that even work? What would I lose that might mean that approach would not be worthwhile?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

The members component is pretty critical to BuddyPress. You can't disable it by default, but you should be able to remove the link to the member directory from your theme or BuddyPress bar and then use our membership plugin (if you're already using it) to keep folks away by adding it to a URL Group.

If you're not using membership, a simple htaccess redirect would also do the trick of keeping folks away from that listing page.

As far as whether or not to use BuddyPress that's really up to you and what are want folks to do on your site? Do they need to interact? Do you want them to see each other's activity and participate in groups/forums? If so, BuddyPress is terrific! If not, then BuddyPress may not be the correct solution for your site.

In general, I try to maintain the simplest route possible. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

• CoachJo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Here's the deal.... Until I have a lot of members, I think that this information (the number of members) will scare potential members away.

I do want to have forums for each group (by special interest) and each team (people are assigned to teams of 24) as well as an overall site forum.

I have installed the Membership plugin.

So I guess I want to "remove the link to the member directory." I'm using the Scholar child theme and haven't figured out how to edit things there yet.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

So remember the chat we had about child themes earlier today... :wink:

You'll need to make a new copy of includes/main-navigation.php and put that in your child theme. Then open up the file and remove the link to 'Members' This will remove the item from the main navigation.

To remove it elsewhere on the site, you'll need to add a function to your functions.php file (in your child theme of course)

Should be something like:

function mj_remove_blogs_nav() {
    	bp_core_remove_nav_item( 'members' );
    }
    add_action( 'bp_setup_nav', 'mj_remove_blogs_nav', 15 );

That should take care of it for ya. Thanks!

• CoachJo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Mason, I've suspended Membership for the time being while I work on other aspects of my website. I'm also out of town and have had little opportunity to work the last week. I'd like to leave this open for now and get back to it Thursday or later. Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.