Hide Personal Options in Profile for Author User Role

Hello. Please pardon my simple question, as I must be missing something very basic:

How/where can I implement a display:none; to hide the Personal Options in the Profile of any user with the Author Role?

Thanks,

Clyde

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Clyde,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The CSS for "backend" part of the site has to be added in a slightly different way than a front end CSS. Since you are willing to affect only the users of the "author" role you will also wan't to go a bit beyond the CSS as you need to use WP hook to run PHP code in order to first check the user role of a current user and then output the relevant CSS to the admin area.

I think I'll be able to help you with that but could you please provide me with a screenshot of the part of the profile page that you wish to hide? I see you mentioned "Personal Options" but I'm not 100% sure if we're thinking of the same part :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Clyde!

It seems that the screenshot didn't came through but I think your additional explanation is good enough :slight_smile:

Below is the code that should hide "everything above "Name"" on profile page for all users of "author" role. It will not affect other roles.

<?php 

function wpmu_hide_personal_profile_settings() {

$current_user = wp_get_current_user(); // get logged in user data
    	if ( in_array( 'author', (array) $current_user->roles ) ) { // if role = author print CSS
    		?>
    		<style>
    			#profile-page h2:first-of-type {display:none;}
    			#profile-page .form-table:first-of-type {display:none;}
    		</style>
    		<?php
    	}
    }
    add_action('admin_footer','wpmu_hide_personal_profile_settings');

In order to use it on your site, please create an empty file with a ".php" extension (e.g. "hide-personal-options-for-author.php") and paste this code inside. Then upload the file to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder of your Multisite. If there's no "mu-plugins" folder inside the "/wp-content" folder, please create it.

I created it using my own test site and it seems to be working fine. Let me know please if it works for you as well.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.