Hide Tags

I'm wondering how to pick out the Tags area on the homepage of this Support theme. I'm using the child-style.css and I see the label as H3, but I can't find the right div to { display: none; }.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Pali, I hope you are well.

Open the following file:

wp-content/themes/edu-knows/home.php

The remove this which starts around line 37:

<h3><?php _e('Tags',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></h3>
    <ul class="nolist">
    <li>
    <?php if(function_exists("wp_tag_cloud")) { ?>
    <?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=12&largest=24&number=50'); ?>
    <?php } ?>
    </li>
    <li id="fulltag"><a href="<?php echo site_url(); ?>/full-tag/"><?php _e('View All Tags &raquo;', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></a></li>
    </ul>

That will get rid of it totally from the page.

Using CSS to hide it isn't really efficient as the function would still be called, and the data hidden to the eye.

Keep in mind every time you update the theme, you will have to do this again.

Take care.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for that. Since I'm using the Child theme, I copied the file to create:

wp-content/themes/edu-knows-child/home.php

Using that file, I deleted the lines you suggested and it looks perfect. Does that sound ok? I reckon that home.php might get updated and the structure would be different, but prolly unlikely, no?

All the best,
    Pali

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again. Just going through old threads and saw your question.

Child themes won't get updated when the parent does, so it retains those settings/php for you.

If something changes in the same file in the parent theme on upgrade then you will need to compare those changes to replicate your file in the child theme with your desired changes.

As example, you change home.php Then in our next update that file has a new feature..... like perhaps a new BuddyPress hook for displaying something cool. Your child theme would be over ruling that file so would need updating to have the new hook also.

We have some guidance here which might help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

Take care. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.