Hierarchical Drop Down List with CustomPress?

Hello,
I'd like to create a series of dropdowns related to scientific classification of beasties great and small.

Kingdom/Phylum/Class/Order/Family/Genus/Species.

So if a member is posting about a specific beastie, the child dropdowns would populate with the appropriate data all the way down to Species.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @Salt Lick!

I'm trying to make sure I understand what you're saying. When they choose a kingdom (animalia let's say) then the appropriate phylums would show up, etc. Is that correct?

If so, that type of filtering isn't built into CustomPress. You'll need something a bit more advanced for that as that kind of filtering can be a bit tricky. I recently had a project that required similar filtering and was able to build it via this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/piklist/

It's super powerful, but IS going to require some learning/coding. They have some helpful documentation to get you going and I've found their support team to be really good. Heck, tell 'em I sent ya if you're interested :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• Salt Lick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks @Mason,

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

I am trying to minimize the variations that crop up in casual/lazy discussion of these topics -trying to keep the tag cloud from ending up as tag smog.

I'll take a look at the piklist plugin, thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.