Hiyall, as newbie I'm asking: is BP a good choice?

Hi,
I want to install a forum into my WP blog.
My priority would be to have a "easy to understand" and "not too complicated to implement" but "truly working" software.
Does anyone have experience with more than one forums?
Can you give me reasons for what to choose?
Give hints for what is important to consider?
Thank you!
Greetings from germany - Michael

• Jon Pedlow
    • New Recruit

Hi @stockerdesign

It really depends on what you're looking for with the functionality? Buddypress gives your sites a full social media feature where they have activity feeds, groups, friends etc etc.

If you are looking for just a general support forum you can simply use bbPress so the user can log in and use a support forum without all of the other social features.

Probably the best thing to do would be to set up testing site where you can install and test drive these to see what works for you.

WPMU guys have a great manual for setting up Buddypress which can be found here

And here is a great video showing you this in action http://labsecrets.com/buddypress-and-bbpress-forums-made-easy/

Hope this helps?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Michael @stockerdesign

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

@Jon Pedlow has given you some great advice there, I would personally recommend with going with BBpress, it's simple to install and it normally just works, without any problem :slight_smile:

I wouldn't really recommend BuddyPress unless your looking for all the social features that offers.

Thank you for being WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.