Home page 404 on membership 1.1 beta

On the advice of tech support, we updated our site to membership beta 1.1 a few weeks ago to address some glitches we were having w/ the content limiting.

It has just come to my attention that the front page of the site will no longer load, and is giving a 404 error. I have been able to get the page to load when logged into my account, but others on different accounts have not.

I dropped all subscriptions from my acct to see if it was related and there was no change in behavior – the page loads for me, but not another acct we were testing with.

http://perfectpracticeweb.com/ is the site. Right now the “sorry it appears you’ve tried to access..” message is coming up – this is our default 404 message built into the thesis theme we are using.

I turned off our squeeze page plugin, and redirects plugin and experienced the same issues. I also turned off membership and the page came right up so it seems to be related. I also reverted to the default WP theme with the same issues.

Other things I tried are pointing the home page at a different / nonsqueeze page. I added the home page to the “positive” rules on the default account. Same results regardless.

http://cl.ly/5lDk/squeeze-page-snapshot.png <– here’s a snapshot of what the homepage should look like when working properly.

Any help would be terrific!

Thanks

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Do you have a no access page defined in Membership? At the moment I’m thinking that the 404 could be that there is no page defined or the page that is defined doesn’t exist.

Other than that, have you tried rolling back to the previous version of Membership?

Phil

• ppw2project
    • Flash Drive

HI Phil, Thanks for the response..

No, there was no page set for the no access page. I have set this and you are right, the home page is now redirecting to the page I set .. http://perfectpracticeweb.com/home/ ..

We seemingly solved a lot of random content gating issues when we updated to 1.1 beta so I’d like to avoid rolling back to the old version if possible. This is a live, heavily used membership site so I need to get this sorted asap!

I did try setting the no access redirect to my home page, and got the message “This webpage has a redirect loop” .. so that won’t work for me..

So the question remains – why is my home page coming up with no access? How do I make it public? Why is it showing for some accounts and not others.

Thanks for your help!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

So the question remains – why is my home page coming up with no access? How do I make it public? Why is it showing for some accounts and not others.

Just to double check – the home page is added as a positive rule to the stranger level?

Try removing it from that level and see what happens…. The possibilities are so vast with Membership that it’s sometimes just a case of trial and error so thanks for your patience while we figure this out with you.

I have the same exact problem and I have just upgraded to membership 1.1 beta. did you find a solution to this issue?

Hiya! Please try the same suggestions and we’ll see where we get to :slight_smile:

Phil

• ppw2project
    • Flash Drive

Sure, Phil I will send you creds through the form link above.

Just FYI I have duplicated our squeeze page and have that set as the redirect for the “no access” page as a workaround until we can get this sorted out.

Thanks for your persistent attention :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@sixagency, I believe we’ve got your particular scenario sorted in your other threads but please let us know if you have further questions on anything.

I should also mention that the latest version of Membership 2.0 has just been released:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

@ppw2project, many thanks for sending that through. We’ve made some minor logic adjustments with the rules setup. If you’d please take a look at your site and let us know if anything isn’t working properly, we’ll be glad to take a look into that.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ppw2project,

Many thanks for your patience in getting this matter resolved. It seems the category rules being in the Positive conflicted with the other Positive rules. Placing the categories in the Negative rules resolved the home-page issue, which ultimately seems to have had to do with the rules clashing logically.

I’m marking this thread as resolved but if you have further concerns please feel free to start a new thread and we’ll see how we can get that sorted for you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.