HomePage Configuration Plugin no longer works

A freelancer created a plugin for me which allows my categories to be ordered on the homepage within WP Admin. This means I can add a new category such as a current topic I am writing about, and have that category featured at the top of my homnepage or wherever I please.

It only showed categories that have atleast one post in them.

It had a time limit for showing posts and was powered by views. So each section on the homepage shows 3 articles from each category, with the most viewed article from that category being at the top.

It used to work just fine, however now any ordering I make with the plugin, does not have an effect, it still shows what it had before on the homepage. And, if I attempt to change the hour limit which is currently 500 hours to anything less, it causes the whole site to break upon reloading the homepage.

I have no idea what happened. Could you kindly advise on how I should go about resolving this issue.

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ashley,

Thanks for your post.

I am not sure how your developer coded the plugin but I think a recent upgrade might have broken it ?

Did you recently upgrade your WordPress install or any other plugins ?

Please advise !

Cheers
    PC

• Ashley Pearson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi, yes I have upgraded some of the plugins as they had security updates available and new features. I am however unsure which plugins would have been related to that plugin. Sadly the Freelancer was a complete tool and not really contactable and just attempts to charge more for any fixes.

The plugin only uses one file, as he coded it himself. Would it be possible for you or one of the team to take a look at the code to see if any plugins seem like they required it to be working? If worst came to worst, I could probably find the version of plugin I had when I got the handover, so I could reinstate that and it should continue working. I just hope its not a plugin that had an update because of a publicly available security hole, something I clearly don't want on my site, even if I do have Wordfence and Vaultpress constantly monitoring and backing up my site 24 hours a day.

• Ashley Pearson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I would be happy to provide you in an email the text contents of the 3 files included. There is one PHP file, one JS file and one CSS file. Perhaps if we know the files included and related to, we can work out why it is no longer functioning as it was intended.

Please advise. Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Ashley,

Sorry for the delay here. I have been away most of the times due to reasons I explained on the other thread.

Is the issue still there ?

I just hope its not a plugin that had an update because of a publicly available security hole, something I clearly don't want on my site, even if I do have Wordfence and Vaultpress constantly monitoring and backing up my site 24 hours a day.

I agree to the security thing, but if its broken at the moment, its as good as hacked. Can you kindly restore the site to a date it worked fine ?

Once done, just update other plugins one by one and see which one breaks it,

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.