The Register link goes to "not found" on Multisite with ithemes Security, Prosites and Ult

Hello,

Hope you are having a good day. And hopefully you've heard of this problem before and have some ideas. The link that allows users to register as users on a Multisite is missing. Here is my setup and what I think may be causing the problem:

Relevant ithemes security settings:
ithemes security: Hide login area is enabled with a "not found" Theme Compatibility Slug and no Custom Login Action
ithemes security: Strong Passwords is enabled at the Editor level
ithemes security: SSL is set to Front End SSL Mode Off and
ithemes security: SSL is set to Force SSL for Dashboard On; however, SSL is not enable on my host's shared server.

Wordpress settings allow user registration
Wordpress settings allow Admins to add new users

I have tried 2 themes with all of the listed settings, clicking the registration link on both goes to "not found" :
Network theme:
Twenty Fifteen theme:

Lastly, Pro Sites is Network Activated but the only setting that has been changed/configured from the defaults is turning on and off Signup on Checkout which
Disables WordPress Signup. With it on the "register" link goes to the page to add a new blog "Pro Site You must first login before you can choose a site to upgrade:"

With this setting off the "not found" page comes up when the "register" link is clicked.

The Pro Site login that adds another blog is not what I want to enable. I am attempting to allow visitors to register as users.

Ultimate Branding is the only other plugin activated. All three plugins are network activated.

Do you have any idea what is causing the "register" link to go to "not found'?

In advance, please excuse me if it is something simple.

• wpmu@dm1n

After some process of elimination it seems the ithemes Security Hide Login Area is what's causing the "not found" when you use the register link to go to the sign-up page (wp_signup.php). Also I found this information https://wordpress.org/support/topic/http-404-with-hide-backend-and-multisite-not_found-potential-fix . But I don't know how to implement the fix described and it appears it gets broken again after every ithemes Security update. Some kind of "child themes" patch for php might work if such a thing existed?

In any case, if anyone else has the same issue https://wordpress.org/plugins/lockdown-wp-admin/
    might be an alternative so long as your word press installation is not in a subdirectory (see the reviews).

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @wpmu@dm1n,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

There is one part that is confusing me in this setup, you are looking to enable only user registration, correct?
    What are you using Pro Sites for in this case?
    Also, even when Pro Sites is disabled you registration form will allow users to create new blog.

Fix provided in above thread requires you to modify plugin files so the changes do need to be applied after each update, I don't think there is workaround for this that can be implemented in child theme, it's strange that no one from iThemes checked that thread so far.

Please let me know about my above questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• wpmu@dm1n

Thank you, I am well. How are you?

Yes. I want to limit sites to a small group while allowing their visitors to register to make comments, etc. I believed the Network Administrator Settings would allow limiting sign-ups to only registering users in Registration Settings. Is this not so?

How long should it take for a sign-up confirmation email to be sent to the registerer and to the Network Administrator? It's been over an hour and no emails. If I try to sign-up again using the same user name and password it says they are reserved for a few days but may become available.

• wpmu@dm1n

I've tried deactivating all plug-ins to see if the sign-up confirmation emails would be sent. It still does not work. Nor are any users added to the users tab of the dashboard. But, if I add a user through the Users Tab of the dashboard, emails are sent. I assume users are being created in the database because of the "reserved" notice I get when I try to sign-up twice with the same user name and or email address.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @wpmu@dm1n!

Yes. I want to limit sites to a small group while allowing their visitors to register to make comments, etc. I believed the Network Administrator Settings would allow limiting sign-ups to only registering users in Registration Settings. Is this not so?

Network Admin settings let you only select one of the following options:

- registration disbled
    - user accounts may be registered
    - logged in users may register new sites
    - both sites and user accounts can be registered

This means that you cannot "limit sites to a small groups" with just default WP settings while still leaving user registration open.

The solution could be setting this to "logged in users may register new sites" which would allow all visitors to register (for example in order to let them leave comments) and also force visitors to register in order to create new site. This will still put no limits on site creation but then you could either

1) Use Pro Sites to require payment in order to create site

or

2) Use "User Role Editor" plugin on your main site (only) to grant "create sites" capability to selected user-role other than "subscriber" and than manually "promote" selected users to this role; You may want first to "clone" subscriber user-role though.

This way only those selected user should be able to create site and all other would only be able to comment etc, I think.

How long should it take for a sign-up confirmation email to be sent to the registerer and to the Network Administrator? It's been over an hour and no emails.

These should be send (almost) instantly. I believe that you have already tried to switch off all the plugins and revert to Twenty Fifteen theme in order to check for any theme/plugin conflict, am I correct?

One other thing worth checking here would be to give "WP Mail SMTP" plugin a try:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

It will let you switch the method those e-mails are being sent from default wp_mail() function to SMTP, meaning sending them as they'd be sent directly from your e-mail client.

Best regards,
    Adam

• wpmu@dm1n

Thank you for your reply. I hope you are having a good day.

I am a bit confused. With only "user accounts may be registered" selected, I was unaware that subscribers (or anyone not an Admin) could create a site. I thought "logged in users may register new sites" had to be selected to allow site creation.

How does someone go about creating a site when only "user accounts may be registered" is selected? I ask because maybe hiding that/those venue(s) might also be an option, in addition to the User Roles Editor Plugin you suggested.

About the email issue. I did turn off other plugins. WP Mail SMTP seemed to do the trick.

Thank you.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @wpmu@dm1n,

Seems like I confused you, I'm sorry for this.

With only "user accounts may be registered" selected, I was unaware that subscribers (or anyone not an Admin) could create a site. I thought "logged in users may register new sites" had to be selected to allow site creation.

That's right. If option "user accounts may be registered" option is selected nobody (except of course super-admin user) should be able to create new site. If I didn't make it clear, I apologize. In order to allow users register sites you need to change this setting to one of the following options: "logged in users may register new sites" (visitor will be forced to register as a user and login prior to be able to create site) and "both sites and user accounts can be registered".

Alternatively, you may give User Roles Editor plugin a try and just grant "create sites" capability to the select user-role. For example:

- you may keep only "user accounts may be registered" option; this will prevent everybody from creating their sites but still will allow visitors to create accounts in order to comment on posts
    - then grant "create site" permission to "Contributor" WP user role; this will allow all registered WP users of "Contributor" role to create sites
    - then manually switch those users you wish to be able to create sites to "Contributor" role.

About the email issue. I did turn off other plugins. WP Mail SMTP seemed to do the trick.

That's great, I'm glad it worked for you!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.