Horizontal scrolling

I've got a general question and WPMU tech support seems to always have the best answers. I've read the article on horizontal scrolling by WPMU, but have found something that I would like to use for our test website mrrwebdev01.org. Once approved by the client, it will move to okobserver.org.
Please see this web page. It's a PDF, I believe, but has controls at the top for paging: http://enewspaper.latimes.com/desktop/latimes/default.aspx?pubid=50435180-e58e-48b5-8e0c-236bf740270e

Any idea how to achieve that?
Thanks so much!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Robert

I hope you're well today!

I believe you're mostly referring to the top bar and the way how it is "paging" the site, right? This specific one indeed looks like PDF and the top navigation bar seems to reassemble a "generic" PDF reader in browser.

In case of a "regular page" that shouldn't be that difficult to achieve either but it'd be mostly a matter of a theme and "content structure". Assuming you'd want to keep layout of each "page" (when you're "flipping" the pages) in that "magazine style", it'd be probably the best to e.g. to create some custom post type and a "magazine style" template for it. Then you could use some "builder" or even a Gutenberg (that's about to come to WP "for good" soon) to create content of these custom "pages" out of other posts and pages.

Then a navigational menu - that's doable but you'd need some custom code for that as well. Basically, you'd want to put a "next/prev" buttons to such menu (to scroll through archive of these custom pages), a button for triggering some JS to zoom in/zoom out. The rest would mostly be some advanced CSS styling in my opinion.

I realize that this is very "generic" response but it's quite difficult to give a "ready to use solution" for this as it's strongly depending on the design/layout and content structure :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.