Hosted site down

My WPMUDEV hosted site moretango.org has been unaccessible for well over 4 hours. Is this a site-wide problem?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ben

Hope you’re doing well!

In the Activity Logs look like the site is out of memory.

PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 8388608) (tried to allocate 65536 bytes) in /var/web/site/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Please try increasing PHP memory. Edit the wp-config.php file, and add the following line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');

Please make sure that you insert this line above /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */.

If the issue still persists, please temporarily deactivate all plugins. Access your site via FTP and rename the plugins folder to plugins-deactivate, from wp-content/plugins.

Check if the site will start loading from the front end. If all is well, please create new empty /plugins/ folder. Move the plugins from /plugins-deactivate/ folder to /plugins / folder one at a time. Everytime check the front end if it is loading. Once the issue will be back again, the last plugin is the one that causing this issue.

Please while doing test for a conflict this way, do not load the Plugins menu from the wp-admin dashboard. This will deactivate all the active plugins.

Let us know how it went!

Kind regards,

Nastia

• Ben
    • Bandoneonista

As it turns out, I deactivated most of the plugins last night on the staging site. Both sites were working fine, then this morning neither was working.

I added the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT line.

I deactivated all plugins and themes by renaming the folders.

Nothing has changed. I still can’t access either the staging or the live site in any way over http.

• Ben
    • Bandoneonista

It looks like the site has been down for another 10 hours now. That makes WPMUDEV hosting the least reliable hosting I’ve ever used.

It seems to me that the hosting just isn’t ready for beta testing yet.

Can you get the site back up so I can take a current snapshot and move to another host?

Thanks,

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Ben

I trust you’re doing well!

We apologize for the inconvenience and the troubles this issue has caused. Our sysadmin has found what was causing the issue and they are working on a fix. However, your site is loading right now. Please try to access it.

Let us know if the issue will be back!

Kind regards,

Nastia

• Ben
    • Bandoneonista

Right now the site is loading. But its been loading for less than 50% of the time over the last 3 days. (Not so good for a nonprofit on giving Tuesday).

Can you provide information on what is causing the problem? I was having 7-9 second page load times, but now they are below 1 second. What changed? Can I expect my site to keep working or will I be back here spending several hours trying to get my site up again tomorrow? Will you notify me when the fix is released?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Ben,

hope you’re doing good and I’m really sorry for the frustration here.

As our Hosting is still in beta, we expect that we’ll deal with some issues and our developers will do their best to resolve these the best possible way.

If this is about a live website that you need to be live at all times now, then it might be wiser to move it into another hosting, at least until our official launch.

Even if you select to keep in here with us though, please do inform us about anything that doesn’t seem right and we’ll carry on troubleshooting it.

Back to your website now, I can see that’s reachable from my end currently.

Our sysadmins also informed us that they made some adjustments for you and specifically:

1. Added 1GB SWAP

2. Fixed /zfs.img from 20gb to 15gb

Additionally, as Snapshot plugin was being referred previously, here’s our updated docs about backups: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/backups/

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Ben
    • Bandoneonista

I understand. I have moved my site off wpmudev hosting. I understand that the service is in Beta, but I believe any hosting should not be in beta if it can’t expect to provide better than 98% or so uptime. WPMUDEV had incredibly slow page loads (over 7 seconds) and massive downtime. To me it appears that this is not yet ready for beta testing.

Best.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

I’m really sorry for the frustration here Ben :slight_frown:

I understand that the best possible uptime is desired and we’re doing our best to accomplish that, things can go wrong though while testing and that leads to downtimes or specific cases like here with Snapshot. As for the slow page loads, I really can’t replicate slow websites while testing beta hosting, even with more large migrated sites. This should have been a temporary issue due to Snapshot and server resources.

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Aaron
    • CTO

I’m really sorry for your trouble. Out of 700 sites right now we only encountered issues similar to yours on 3 sites (the other 2 belonging to staff). These had various root causes and were specific to the unique nature of those sites and their traffic levels. Thank you for your help in identifying those, however painful it may have been.

We’ve deployed a few fixes to all sites, and there are two other possible root causes we are currently still addressing.

I hope you will be open to giving us a try again in a few weeks (of course with the temporary domain) once we’re confident those are ok.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.