hostgater reseller multisite and shared

Hi...

Thinking about opening a new multisite with hostgator. If I got a reseller hosting account when I make a new subdomain will it also give a new separate database, cpanel access, etc or should I just go with shared if it does not and essentially does the same thing. Are their pros for do a reseller multisite account or not (or just stick with shared)? I want it to have many subdomain/sites (yes).

:slight_smile:

Greg

• Ash

Hello there

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

If you have a reseller account you can assign new hosting space to new domain. Every domain has ability to run a multisite.

Also, if you have a shared hosting, there is no problem to run a multisite too.

Are their pros for do a reseller multisite account or not (or just stick with shared)?

Multisite doesn't depend on shared or dedicated hosting. But yes, dedicated hosting speeds up your website. It doesn't depend on reseller. With a reseller account, you just can resell your space to other domain/people.

Even you can run multisite with an add-on domain in a shared hosting.

In every case, you can run as many subsite as you wish. But if you really have tons of subsite, I think dedicated server is best for the speed and memory issue.

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Greg

Hi @Ashok

Thanks.

What about the issue of having a single database holding multiple subdomain multisites that different and unrelated new domains are pointed to? How can each new site added to the multisite be able to be peeled off for any reason (say a client wanted to move his/her site elsewhere)?

Can the content & all the required databases be easily peeled off and loaded onto some other host if that ever comes up with BOTH Shared and Reseller accounts?

From what I see Reseller accounts have separate databases for each site (from how I see it at the moment anyway) and Shared account have all sites share one database (is that right)?

How does that play into the actual functioning of the sub-site contents and databases. I just want to be sure that each site can be peeled off easily if that is ever the case.

Also, if a client want his/her own cpanel access etc for some reason.

One can sell and host on a shared hosting too right effectively? Is there some technical issues that I might run into if choosing shared to resell website vs a actual reseller account? I have heard something of inodes and page/file and space issues that could be a factor or issue and any other unknowns? I guess somehow pages and files are tracked etc and one could be bottleneck or otherwise penalized etc...just thinking of the best way to approach and look ahead.

What hosting do you use for multisite and do you have clients? Happy with whomever they are?

Other welcome to input...

:slight_smile:

Greg

• Ash

Hi there

What about the issue of having a single database holding multiple subdomain multisites that different and unrelated new domains are pointed to? How can each new site added to the multisite be able to be peeled off for any reason (say a client wanted to move his/her site elsewhere)?

In fact, WordPress Multisite is not "Multi site". Multisite is still a single site in where multiple users can create subdomain in your main domain with a and only single wordpress installation. In a multisite you may have tons of users/subdomain but they all use a single databse, that is hosted in network site. So, when an user will register in your network, a subdomain will be automatically created and share the same database. There is no way to move a subsite but they can export their page and posts etc and import to another wordpress site. You can know more about multisite in https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/

Can the content & all the required databases be easily peeled off and loaded onto some other host if that ever comes up with BOTH Shared and Reseller accounts?

If you use domain mapping plugin, then your subsite user's hosting won't be used. They will use your host and your database. So, it's doesn't matter if you use shared or reseller account.

From what I see Reseller accounts have separate databases for each site (from how I see it at the moment anyway) and Shared account have all sites share one database (is that right)?

When you create multiple hosting with reseller account, in most of the cases those are turned into a shared hosting. The main point of views is where your main site is installed. When you will setup the network site, there will need a database. And all of your subsites will use the same database. It will create all the necessary tables in that database.

Also, if a client want his/her own cpanel access etc for some reason.

Your subsite users won't have a cPanel access.

What hosting do you use for multisite and do you have clients? Happy with whomever they are?

Personally I use hostgator shared hosting, 3years unlimited plan, cheap, huh? :wink:

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.