Hosting

Hi there,

My current hosting provider says I have too many plugins - but you have so many great plugins that I want to use on my site! They say I should keep plugins to single digits, however I am currently around 18.

Could you tell me what your recommendations are for maximum plugins for a Wordpress website and your thoughts on hosting to support your amazing world of plugins?

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi @stephanie_clairmont

That's quite unusual for a host to do that, ideally you want to keep the amount as low as possible for load times.

I normally stick around 10 plugins at any one time, but if possible 6 or 7. As what some plugins do, I make core modifications which isn't normally recommended!

I use wpengine for my hosting, they aren't cheap, but they are when you consider what they bring to the table, fully managed WordPress hosting, my sites load at least 5 times quicker since I switched to them. But there are of course other hosts out there, depends on your traffic etc.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• aecnu

Greetings stephanie_clairmont,

Thank you for the great question and though Jack mentioned WP Engine and accurately described it as an application server, he never tried my WPMU Hosting which half of WPMU DEV support staff hosts with and they have all reported that nothing beats the speeds thereof.

The reason why I think that your host is telling you that about the plugins is due to there configurations cannot handle the load or memory requirements of the plugins, but after a quick trace I find you are using Go Daddy hosting which is perhaps the worst hosting for WordPress sites considering their round trip times of the separate database servers and other items for example php memory which if memory serves they have set at 64MB where ours is set at 512MB's.

You do not have to take my word for it though, just check out what other members and folks have to say:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/choosing-hosting-company

And here are some more:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/support-advice
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/whos-your-favorite-wp-hosting-provider-and-why
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/having-serious-troubles-with-my-vps-memory

And there are more but I will not take up your time with the additional thumbs up for my platform.

What I will do however is let you know how easy it is to transfer to another host and off of Go Daddy in an article I wrote about this very subject:

http://webhostingvirtualdedicatedservers.com/transferring-sites-daddy-wpmuaecnu-hosting-platform/

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV community Member and have a GREAT week!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Jack,

Than you for the mention and yes I own a hosting company that is now several years old ... lol ... time flies when your having fun!

Things really started kicking after I hired a team of six top notch Tech University seniors about five years ago to develop a now proprietary configuration I use that makes the servers scream. Of course at the time it was for Dual cores but when I applied it to Xeon Quad cores ... holy smokes ... they truly scream with power and speed.

Sincerely, Joe

• nfstrategies

Hi All,

I am a currently a reseller for HostGator on the silver plan which gives me 120GB space / 1 TB band per month. I am using about half of that space right now. HostGator's service used to be great, but for the past few months HostGator's load speed has been getting worse and worse. Last week I setup a new web client. We moved his site over, then he added a new plugin & got an error. Long story short, the plugin requires PHP 5.3+, but HostGator is using PHP 5.2.17. I called support & they plan to upgrade "sometime in the next year"... This past Sunday, I logged on to one of my sites to make a change... lo & behold my server & all my sites (therefore my client sites) were down. They inaccessible for approx 30 minutes from the time I discovered the problem. Maybe has something to do with HostGator being purchased by EIG (a year ago?), maybe not, but regardless I cannot recommend or "resell" HostGator anymore. I don't know if anyone else has experienced problems with HostGator, but I was considering switching companies & Sunday's issue made the decision for me.

I have 44 hosting accounts under my reseller's account. All of these belong to my web design clients. I also have 1 multi-site install (soon to be 3-4 installs) and a couple clients with very large websites, including my new client. I was investigating several companies until I saw a post which mentioned wpmu hosting by @aecnu. The info in the post looked promising so I investigated. All the services at http://wpmu-hosting.org/ look great. I plan to sign up for a dedicated server this week, if not today. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Matt

• Gregg Davis

Hi All! I'm pretty new here at WPMU.org, but I've been reselling hosting (for my website clients) and primarily working with WordPress for the last few years. I just recently moved all my sites and clients to a new hosting account at Rackspace Cloud, from Media Temple, because of a few memory issues on the servers at Media Temple. My sites went down for a few hours twice. This was a pretty large and expensive VPN, or Virtual Private Network. In a lot of ways it was overkill for my WordPress hosting, because it had a lot of customizable functions I didn't need, and it was expected that I would be monitoring traffic spikes and storage overages. While I'm not that techy, I wasn't paying attention to the server that much, and that's when my sites went down before I could upgrade.

I researched many hosting companies and plans, and decided that I wanted a "cloud server" setup which would scale infinitely large to handle spikes in traffic. Rackspace Cloud has offered excellent service and 24 hour live chat or phone support. I pay $100 for unlimited domains and a pretty large level of bandwidth and storage - plus they have their own CDN for serving images or video or other static content fast, from many sites across the world.

Anyway, I just wanted to contribute that my experience with Rackspace Cloud has been excellent and I'm very confident in the system not going down EVER. They also recently installed a WordPress installation script, so that now my client installs take about 3 minutes. I'm not an affiliate or anything, nothing to gain here, but I wholeheartedly recommend them. (http://rackspacecloud.com)

I haven't checked out aecnu's wpmu-hosting.org, but I bet it's awesome. 512mb of php memory sounds excellent! I've had to use an .htaccess file to increase my php memory before on a particular site, and it has worked well for making plugins work and sites run faster.

I hope this helps someone! --Gregg Davis

• aecnu

Greetings Matt and Gregg Davis,

Thank you both for your input which is certainly appreciated.

@Gregg Davis How long have you been with Rack Space?

I ask simply because the facts be known I just had some folks move from Rack Space, I am not sure it was the same plan, but they were charging them in all kinds of ways to make their bill for two web sites around $400 a month - and now these particular folks are on a $129.95 a month dedicated and seem happy as can be.

@Matt thank you for contacting me and I have just replied to you and hopefully you will find the "inventory" changes favorable.

Thank you both for being WPMU DEV Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• Gregg Davis

Thanks for the reply, I don't know but they must have been on another plan at those rates. Rackspace does have some more traditional server plans - more similar to a dedicated server, but I'm on what they call Cloud Sites, a shared plan with unlimited domains for $100 a month. I haven't run into any storage or bandwidth overages where I would be charged more. Plus, the cloud system will scale up fro spikes in traffic, and back down.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and check out yours too.

Hey @aecnu, got any points for me? :wink: I'm gunning for 1000 !!!

• aecnu

Greetings Matt,

Thank you for letting me know and look forward to working with you in the near future.

I see you have indeed sent another email which I will get onto shortly, I had some WPMU DEV duties to work with and will answer you in detail soon.

@Gregg Davis just a small note that the cloud hosting thing is really just sales hype and networked servers - nothing different then what is already available.

Here is a copy and paste form another post that may clarify the topic of cloud computing:

- all cloud computing is referring to hosting is networked servers or anything connected to the internet is actually in the cloud.

"Oh its in the cloud" - gimme a break ... lol ... it is like saying I will give you wet water.

Cloud Computing is BS!
    http://www.horsesforsources.com/vineet-nayar-hfs-120310

******end of copy and paste ******

And yes I will send you a few points for trying to be helpful within the guidelines set forth for doing so :slight_smile:

Thank you for your input and follow up and keep us posted about those fees!

Thank you all for being WPMU DEV Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.