[Hosting] Ability to restart nginx server

When we try to install certain popular plugins like W3TotalCache, Supercache etc, it rewrites the .htaccess file (or the nginx config). As opposed to apache .htaccess file, a restart of the nginx server is required when nginx config is modified.

When someone migrates their website to WPMU hosting, chances are that they already use one of these plugins to achieve performance optimization. I understand that hummingbird is the alternative but then w3total cache may have that one setting, which can give your site a 100% page speed on google.

Hence if we have an option to restart the nginx server or have another way to apply the modified nginx config, it would be very useful.

Cheers.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Vijay

Thank you so much for your suggestions. For now, if you need to restart the server, you can join our live chat or create a ticket and we can restart the server for you.

An option to modify NGINX config would be a great addition to our hosting. I am marking this as a feature request, let's see how other members think about this.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hello Vijay

Yes, he is right. I just double checked with the sysadmins of hosting team, a restart is not possible unless there is a nginx crash or any new config deployed in the droplet. Really sorry about that.

But about the additional nginx rule/config, our team is planning to provide a way to add more nginx rule for each site, though it's not final yet.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
      Ash

• Vijay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I was just reading about configuring nginix reverse proxy with Apache server so that .htaccess file can made available without compromising the speed benefits of nginix server.

Just a food for thought!

Cheers,
    Vijay

• David Z.
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello, I have this requirement by one plugin with this instructions:
    https://wpplugins.tips/how-to-set-hide-my-wp-on-nginx-server/

I need to add a line and restart the NGINX. I have already posted it because I have migrated my site to WPMUDEV hosting. In case this isn't possible I need to restore back to my previous hosting immediately. Can you help me define whether this can be done? I haven't got an answer yet.

In case this is not possible yet, definetely the hosting is very BETA yet. It is suppose to be dedicated resources.

Please help! Need a response ASAP!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi David Z.,

I do understand you. There isn't any out of the box settings to add NGINX Rules by members, however, once requested via ticket. We would be able to add these custom NGINX rules in your website. I could notice that you already have a ticket in here regarding this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custom-nginx-rule-adding-request

I'm checking the status regarding the issue with our Hosting team and will get back to you via the ticket asap. Sorry for any inconvenience due to this.

Regards,
    Nithin

• David Z.
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

It's been always 10 hours since the change was requested and it's not ready yet. Sincerely this is not serious from you. Any serious hosting provider will perform this changes within minutes. This hosting experience with WPMUDEV Is becoming a nightmare due to lack of effectiveness.

I will assume, by what you mentioned, that this configuration is possible.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.