Hosting advice: Any recommendations?

Shared hosting is starting to give me various problems and its time for me to move.

Seen some info in this thread, but it's also quite old so not sure if the recommended hosts are any good.

I would prefer a dedicated server, depending on the costs. I found this company that specializes in wordpress, http://wpwebhost.com/ anyone familiar with them?

Would appreciate some good feedback and things to watch out for.

Thanks,

George

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

It really depends on the level of technical knowledge you have as to how "bare-bones" you go.
    Obviously we use pSek for wp.mu - http://wp.mu/hosting/

I, personally, have used slicehost and linode before as I've needed to install specific applications on the servers. A few I know use fasthost and say good things about them.

But, I'm pretty sure hosting is like sandwiches, everyone has their own favourite and their own reason why and generally won't entertain anyone else's weird taste. :slight_smile:

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Well I know basics and get by, but don't want my hands on it all the time for maintenance or stuff either.

I checked out pSek, but there dedicated server link is dead. And if I recall properly, that was mentioned in the thread that's almost 2 years old. I value your opinions here more than elsewhere, but makes me wonder when a company doesn't even fix a broken link on there site for 2 years?

Or maybe I'm missing something.

Not quite sure if I need a dedicated host yet, but will sooner or later.

Any comments on VPS and Semi dedicated?

And for me taste is simple, as long as it works and the backup support is good, preferably 24/7. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice! Will check out the other resources..

George

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Linode and slicehost are VPS's (you get a slice or node of a server), you pretty much start with a bare OS, and then have to install everything else. So that may not be the best for you if you don't want to mess with config files, though there are very good tutorials, and they will look at a problem if you're stuck.

These are the only ones I've used recently, and have literally, set them up and then left them to run.

Ukfast - http://www.ukfast.co.uk - Comluv run on this apparently (http://comluv.com/ ) and have a fairly large wpmu site.

I know a lot of hosts you shouldn't use, as I've travelled through a few in my time, but they are mainly the usual suspects (blue, dream - hosts, asmallorange kept going down at a specific time of the day, mediatemple gs - high latency, godaddy - well nuff said). also beware of "rebranded" hosts (check out the main company before signing up) -

wpwebhost - exabytes
    wpbloghost - godaddy

• georgef

Thanks for the help Barry.

So much to consider, I've made one bad decision before and don't want to do the same again.

Quite happy with Hostgator and service, but maybe not for a dedicated server.. Slicehost looks really good, but I don't think I'll manage and definitely need something that I can add some sort of management plan to it.

Wpwebhost is also ruled out then, there prices are a lot more expensive than their parent company.

I'll checkout ukfast and a few, thanks.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

wpwebhost really is just a CPanel host that markets themselves as being wordpress savvy. They're an overseller as well. You can't provide everybody 50gigs of hard drive space for $5 a month and make a profit. The numbers just won't work unless you oversell.

I'm moving all my sites over to a Quickweb VPS this weekend.

• isos
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I have run wpmu at Media Temple on their GS (lowest price) server with some success, and I have also rolled my own server.

It takes some doing, but Ubuntu Server + ISPConfig3 + WPMU makes a great open source server that you can completely control yourself.

• Aaron
    • CTO

I use and love slicehost. But you will have to get your hands dirty. It's been a good learning experience for me!

For dedicated Serverbeach is good. Cheap and you can do alot with it. I know wp.com uses them and I think edublogs too (don't quote me on that though).

• Avi
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

No Prob Geo just sharing what I use.

drmike,

No idea maybe they know that most people are going to upgrade once they grow a little.

I dont know much about the company other than a few people told for my needs it was worth looking into.

Just out of curiosity can post your ($8 a month) service so I can find out a little more about it?

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

BTW, edublogs runs on a cluster (or sorts :slight_smile: of 7 dedicated ServerBeach servers.

Best advice I was ever given though (well, that I followed, so I know it was good) was that it's not so much the servers but the support - hiring a top level sysadmin literally changed everything for the good.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I politely disagree with James' assement up there of pSek. The last time pSek came up, folks including myself responded negatively. Andrew went ahead and closed the thread. I'm going to go ahead and do so now since the discussion of pSek isn;t allowed here.

edit: Well I would if the server would let me.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Naw, we're OK to hear discussion negative or positive, I'm sure it was for another reason.

We're not affiliated to them, we just work with them and use them... of course it's not 100% plain sailing but it's been a good experience.

I mean, Serverbeach dropped our DNS for 12 hours just recently!!! But I still think they provide a great service.

• Tracy

I've used knownhost with success but prefer wiredtree as they have phone support (for vps's and dedicated servers).

Depending on how mission critical your uptime is, our experience is that if you absolutely cannot afford downtime then a dedicated is a way to go. Not because of cpu or resources, but because of the fact that other users on a vps can and very well may take the server and you down with them.... even though many say this isn't possible, it happens.

The other advantage to a dedicated server is because VPS's have more people on them, there is typically a lot more data and if you ever have to reboot and go through a fsck check, it takes a lot longer... it can take 2 to 10 hours or more... no fun.

For example two days ago our datacenter, CoreSite, in Chicago was testing backup generators and somewhere along the line the test failed and somehow there was a one second loss of power, something that should never happen, but it did. This meant all racks / servers at that location had to reboot, my dedicated took 15 minutes, most vps's took 2 to 6 hours or even longer if they had to fsck check.... anyways, just a few thoughts....

• pezelle
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Anyone have any info on SingleHop? They have a pretty unbelievable offer.
    http://bit.ly/1M4Dqkd

Also James, can you give any idea of benchmarks that would give guidelines on what hardware and bandwidth you need to support x number of sites (x = 5K, 10K, 15K. I know there are lots of different variables but you probably have a pretty good idea by now : )

• danbutcher
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I will second Avi's recommendation of TMDHosting--that's who I went with when I decided to use wpmu for my teaching, and I've been pleased with their pricing and support so far--been with them about 1 year. But it should be noted that I'm running only 5 blogs on the 1 wpmu install and have about 100 users in any given semester--so not a big load. One thing I liked about TMD was that they did the complete wmpu+bbpress install for me, which was a great time-saver when I was first learning to use wpmu.

Regarding Dreamhost--I've been with them for years and have been happy, but as far as I know, it's impossible to run wmpu unless you go to a dedicated/vps plan with them (which is why I got the account with TMD).

That said, I'm always eager to hear about other hosting services that do wp and/or wpmu well.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

20 years? Sounds like me.

edit: I mean no disrespect but we're having this discussion elsewhere today and this is a point that bothers me: No details about the datacenter(s) involved. I know I don't have a problem with telling folks what datacenter I use and what I have for uplinks but seems like many hosts do.

A couple months back a webhost offering on a well known webmasters forum hosting from a "well known" datacenter with Teir 1 bandwidth was discovered in their parents basement running off a time warner cable modem.

Nice pictures but no details:

http://www.illuminatedhosting.com/facility.cfm

At least I don;t see anything mentioned.

Again, that's no disrespect intended. Just something that bothers me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.