Hosting images from an external server for Ultimate Branding

I keep running into an issue with testing images for things like the login panel. If an image is in my clients Media directory in Wordpress, they could easy delete my images by accident or on purpose. I want to know if there is a way to host these images from another point. This would also allow me to change out the images on the login panel from time to time and run special promo offers to my clients via an external point.

It seems like this should already by a built in capability, but sadly it's not. I like to have complete control over things and work the smoke and mirrors more like the Wizard of Oz the jerk of Wordpress. If you're going to whitelabel the backend why not have the most amount of power possible?

Regards,
David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, how's it going today? Hope all is well on your end! :slight_smile:

If an image is in my clients Media directory in Wordpress, they could easy delete my images by accident or on purpose. I want to know if there is a way to host these images from another point. This would also allow me to change out the images on the login panel from time to time and run special promo offers to my clients via an external point.

Where would you be hosting these images? Would they reside in a different directory on the server, or an entirely different location?

You could always grab the link to the image, and use WordPress's Media Manager to insert the URL (see screenshots below).

How does that sound? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• David

I most likely would be hosting them from off of a special directory setup on my own personal server that my design business is hosted on or from something like an Amazon S3 server with https & ssl if I had to go that route.

I tried to use the Insert From URL method in a couple of places on this build and it didn't seem to work. I did a copy and paste of the URL for the specific image that I was wanting to add as my company logo so I'm sure the URL was correct.

It seems like something that would be easy to do, but it's not working as expected.

Regards,
    David

• Ash

Hello @David

I hope you are well today.

If you want to change the login image, you can do so via the following code:

function my_login_logo() { ?>
        <style type="text/css">
            body.login div#login h1 a {
                background-image: url(THE_IMAGE_URL);
                padding-bottom: 30px;
            }
        </style>
    <?php }
    add_action( 'login_enqueue_scripts', 'my_login_logo' );

You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed. Otherwise mu-plugins is the best solution. To use mu-plugins, go to /wp-content/ and find the folder with name 'mu-plugins'. If there is no folder in that name, then create a folder, name it 'mu-plugins', create a file inside that, give any name you like and paste the code in there. You don't need to activate that plugin. Mu-plugins means must use plugins, so it will be activated automatically always. If you use mu-plugins then add a php start tag at the beginning of the code.

If it still doesn't work, please let me know the image url that you are using.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

Hello @David

I hope you are well today.

This is how it is designed, if you create a new thread asking for feature request, we will be happy to mark it.

About the current issue, would you please send me your ftp details and site link so that I can try?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• David

Thanks for the help Ash, but I threw it all out and went with a different method in order to achieve the look I was after.

It just sucks that Wordpress insists on being so difficult to brand and that there isn't a good enough solution out there to do it with. This is one part where Joomla! kicks WP's ass among many others until you get to the UX. If it weren't for my clients needing a better UX system I wouldn't be using such a limiting and sometimes inferior system.

Regards,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.