Hosting - Small multisite project

New to Multisite, but have 15 WP sites under my belt and am looking at a new project that I think Multisite will be ideal for. Client has 7 domains - all inter-related as they come under one parent company (these are not blogs btw but small commercial sites). I thought that if I set up WP with Multisite on one domain then the 6 other domains could be either subdirectories or subdomain with the domain names pointing to them using the Domain plug in. For me this is all theoretical as all I have done is read through the manuals here.
My question is this - as there isn't going to be a lot of content, mainly static pages but with one site having a shop, so the resources needed wouldn't be huge, would I still need to get dedicated hosting? I have a reseller account with Hostgator with plenty of room available, but are there other issues I need to know about?
One bonus question if I may, I plan on trying to use one theme and having different colours (using child themes with edited css?) for each of the different sites, is this easy to set up? I have been using the Genesis framework to this point, but not sure whether their themes will migrate to this set up.

• nelnehal

hey

I thought that if I set up WP with Multisite on one domain then the 6 other domains could be either subdirectories or subdomain with the domain names pointing to them using the Domain plug in

you can have all the sites in one multisite installation (either subdomain, or subdirectory)
    the ones you do not need to have a custom domain, you can leave them as is, the other remaining you can point using the domain mapping plugin.
    e.g.
    mainsite.com
    subdomain1.mainsite.com-
    subdomain2.mainsite.com
    subdomain3.mainsite.com - pointed to your custom domain

My question is this - as there isn't going to be a lot of content, mainly static pages but with one site having a shop, so the resources needed wouldn't be huge, would I still need to get dedicated hosting? I have a reseller account with Hostgator with plenty of room available, but are there other issues I need to know about?

i have around 50 sites in one multisite install, using reseller hosting. it would not be an issue from my experience.

check this thread out as well
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-management

• DavidM

Hi Alirat and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Yeah, that really shouldn't be any trouble at all. It would be quite easy to add new sites in the future as well as nelnehal's description helps to show.

Also, I'm guessing you've seen it already, but just in case, MarketPress should definitely be able to handle your shop concerns and it's fully multisite capable as well.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce

As far as Genesis, the child theme idea really should be only a process of making new child themes, one for each sub-site. The only question is really whether Genesis itself supports multisite usage. That's something you may want to ask their support.

Cheers,
    David

• Alirat

Thanks everyone - glad to be here! I have been thinking of joining for a while but now I am pitching for another couple of projects that would benefit from the products available here it makes it worth my while. I only started really using WordPress about 5 months ago, having built all my sites previously in Rapidweaver - but I have to say I am loving it! And thanks again for the welcome, it's always hard being a newbie..but it's the only way to learn.

• wpcdn

Genesis supports multisite quite well except for the occasional thing that normally requires FTP (which multisite users generally don't have). For example, the Genesis themes panel doesn't have a mechanism for users to add custom logos. That normally has to be done via FTP, except on some of their themes that support custom headers. That's not always an ideal solution, as you sometimes want to keep the theme header and add your existing logo as well, without having to create a new header graphic containing your logo too.

We created code that adds custom logo uploading to Genesis.

But the short version of this post is that Genesis does work with multisite.

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.