Hosting Suggestions

Hi,

I would like to know the best hosting for a Blogging website. It for people with interests in stock market, we had a good response before and now we are starting with a fresh install.

Multi DB requires you to create databases via PhpMyAdmin, but most shared hosting providers don't allow this. I will shift to a VPN or Dedicated hosting once we receive traffic. But not expecting much traffic until 5-6months. Hence, would start with shared hosting.

Any suggestions for Shared Hosting which would prove good for a Blogging website and allow 1600 databases in order to configure Multi DB plugin :wink:

• drmike

I;d just go ahead and start with a VPS to be honest. You can find small ones for about the same price at somewhat decent webhosting:

http://lowendbox.com

Especially with the issue with the databases. phpMyAdmin allows you to create those databases but only if you have root access. Have a VPS with your own install of phpMyAdmin and you get that root access. Problem solved. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

edit: Forgot to mention the install script that they work on: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

reedit: Start small and then upgrade when you need to.

• j.dee

Hey Drmike,

Thank you for prompt response. My current hosting provider is letting me do a "SSH Server Access" on special request. It is a shared hosting account so obviously I will have to be very careful with this.

Getting SSH Server Access, Will I be able to grant myself specific privileges for PhpMyAdmin to be able to create multiple databases ? If so, how ? I am a novice and would like any stepwise information possible :wink:

• drmike

There's a way to do it but it would get you booted for hacking their server if you got caught.

Not having true ssh access is kind of iffy for me. I find myself using it a lot for the stuff that I do but I get involved with the code and the setup. Others don;t.

When you need it though, you do need it. And waiting for permission isn;t something that's going to be a plus. May want to consider that.

• j.dee

Researching in Network security at Greenwich University, learning about IPS and IDS systems - I have understood these hosting guys are making full use of it. I, once, had a DoS attack on a website, tuk their Hi-Tech systems fraction of a second to completely shut down access to 1200 websites hosted on that server. On other occasion I asked them about a particular event and instantly I have the time and date of the event which occurred 2 months ago, so obviously everything is being logged. Hence, I think it might not be a good idea to play around with SSH Server Access.

On the other hand, as you can see in the images - My hosting provider is letting me create individual databases(through eXtend CP instead of CPanel) like :-

web107-a-wor-3-1, web107-a-wor-3-2, web107-a-wor-3-3

But they all will be individual databases. Whereas Multi DB instructions suggest that I should run a command inside PHPMyAdmin which will create 256 databases inside 1 main database. But if I create individual databases I will have a separate PHPMyAdmin for every database. For the time being as my website does not have traffic I think I might stick to current hosting provider and create individual DB's, if you suggest :wink:

• j.dee

All the DB's should be on the same server i.e. 79.170.44.107, and 99% should be accessible via "localhost" thingi...

Further I can create single Stand Alone User and grant privileges from within every database to this user, with following command to be run 256 times.

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER, LOCK TABLES ON web107-a-wor-3-1.* TO 'n-web107-dino345'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Do I need any other privileges, apart from the onces I am using in the sql code ?

• Bob Randklev

So many good replies but I have to summarize and ask a question:

We are building a multisite for profit/clients so I don't want to use a "cheap" hosting solution. On the other hand I don't want to waste money on something we don't need.

I'd prefer to invest now in the best solution so we aren't scrambling later, this project isn't a test or experiment and we plan to add hundreds of customers over time!

I'm thinking a small VPS is the perfect way to start now and as we grow we can upgrade ram/cpu.

We use Hostgator primarily and they have a VPS solution starting at $20 a month.

Agree or disagree?

• Timothy Bowers

@bobrandklev

Hostgator do seem to get some very positive reviews respite what a few clients have said, but then again there is always going to be a few hiccups when dealing with so many customers.

So I suppose the question is, how fast do you anticipate your growth? Have you done anything like this before? What are strategies to attract those clients? Is there an advertising budget or are you solely social networking?

I'll be honest in saying that many people make projections based on what they wish and want to happen but not on actual meaningful data from around credible sources or research, often little market research is done to see who the competitors are, what they offer and what would make someone come to you over them. I don't mean this in a negative way, just speaking from experience, based on client requirements for hosting.

I've had clients come to me asking for a 4000 port ShoutCast server (web radio), thinking they would be the next big on-line success and I applaud their ambition and drive, reality is sadly often quite different. The quote they got was a lot higher than anticipated and subsequently they went for a lower package of some 400. Their actual listener stats peaks at about 15 most (They downgraded based on my advice albeit a few months later).

Different market and product but the point is valid, they didn't thoroughly research their market and could of ended up wasting a ton of cash.

That said, if you get a $20 package from hostgator and their product works as expected then you have room to upgrade and grow with them, $20 isn't a bad price.

After all that is said, really it is for you to decide, shared hosting (probably not), VPS or dedicated server, perhaps even look into cloud hosting, its all the rage these days.

A fantastic source for anything web host related is Web Hosting Talk: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

• wpcdn

@bobrandklev,

Only go with cloud hosting if you specifically need it. It's all the rage, but doesn't always live up to the hype. Cloud hosting adds layers of complexity that can often take away performance and reliability. Even though you may get "guaranteed resources," you're still sharing storage. So other users can still affect the performance of your cloud server. Always check the status blog (if available) of the cloud provider you're looking at, or the tweets about them.

The main benefit is scalability...but normal hosting or VPSs often have the same scalability as cloud hosting, or even better. Some cloud providers can only scale to a certain degree.

Gigabyte for gigabyte, cloud hosting can often be much more expensive than traditional VPSs or even a dedicated server.

So don't get lost in the hype and go for cloud hosting if you don't really need it.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey wpcdn, thanks for the information on Cloud!

Cloud hosting adds layers of complexity that can often take away performance and reliability.

The main benefit is scalability...but normal hosting or VPSs often have the same scalability as cloud hosting, or even better. Some cloud providers can only scale to a certain degree.

I've not delved to greatly into Cloud Hosting myself and so I would appreciate seeing the benchmarks and data your quoting from if you would kindly link me to some credible sources.

I was considering doing a test MU install at some point later in the year so those benchmarks your basing your facts on would greatly help me in making my decision to continue with the planned testing. From what your saying it sounds like it would waste my time in doing so?

Thanks again!

• Bob Randklev

Tim great questions, I've seen your replies around the forum and I love how you ask questions to make people think through what they are doing vs directly going to the technical question.. I like this.

I'm looking to use multisite for some of our "smaller client" sites who are looking for a more affordable WordPress Solution.

After joining WPMU I now see we can offer free ad driven sites with the ability to upgrade AND host our smaller client sites.

So I know we'll be adding a number of sites every month from our client base and then add on the free and smaller sites we could realistically have hundreds of sites in a year.

My thought now is to get a VPS and upgrade as needed, use multi-DB plugin and eventually add CDN and dedicated servers OR stop at some point and get another VPS server.

I don't want to manage servers, we want to produce and host sites.

Your thoughts?

• Bob Randklev

Tim great questions, I've seen your replies around the forum and I love how you ask questions to make people think through what they are doing vs directly going to the technical question.. I like this.

I'm looking to use multisite for some of our "smaller client" sites who are looking for a more affordable WordPress Solution.

After joining WPMU I now see we can offer free ad driven sites with the ability to upgrade AND host our smaller client sites.

So I know we'll be adding a number of sites every month from our client base and then add on the free and smaller sites we could realistically have hundreds of sites in a year.

My thought now is to get a VPS and upgrade as needed, use multi-DB plugin and eventually add CDN and dedicated servers OR stop at some point and get another VPS server.

Your thoughts?

• wpcdn

I've not delved to greatly into Cloud Hosting myself and so I would appreciate seeing the benchmarks and data your quoting from if you would kindly link me to some credible sources.

That's not so much results of specific benchmarks, but lots of experience via osmosis. As for the performance and reliability, we did test some popular cloud services a while back, and the results were bad on both fronts. It would be hard to summarize the specific log entries. But cloud hosting does add multiple layers of control (hypervisors, etc.) which can be additional points of failure.

This site will provide insight:

http://cloudfail.net/

As for the scalability, that depends on the particular provider. But some have limits as to how far you can scale (based on the size of their cloud, no doubt).

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, managing servers will take some of your time, especially if your operations grow significantly. The question is whether you want to do it yourself or pay someone else for the privilege of not doing it. :slight_frown:

eventually add CDN

I'd suggest CDN from the start. Yes, we are a CDN provider, but I'm not just saying it for that reason. No matter whom you go with, CDN can improve the performance and scalability of any site, of any size. It does come with a price (fortunately a relatively low price), but it can help you maximize server resources and even SEO, as Google takes speed into account when ranking sites.

and dedicated servers OR stop at some point and get another VPS server.

If you're planning to be as big as it sounds like you are, VPSs probably represent "thinking small." Dedicated servers can have significant cost, but it's a reasonable cost if it's powering a big network of sites. Also keep in mind a strategy for backups and such.

• Timothy Bowers

Thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

If you do move into servers and you don't want to manage them, you could pay someone to do that for you. In fact some companies offer servers with management included or as optional extras.

@ wpcdn

Thanks for the information on cloud! I'll check out the link :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.