[Hosting] Wordpress SPEED

Even though the hosting at WPMU DEV is quite fast, is still not the best in terms of speed. What we need is a turn key solution to get the websites really flying, then, you will have the whole Wordpress community storming over to WPMU DEV. I tried Hummingbird and I went back to W3 Total Cache as it's still much better in terms of performance. The optimum is a one-stop turn-key solution to get the speed optimization really happening so that the loading and the browsing becomes instantaneous.

• Ronnie Burt
    • Hosting & Biz Dev

ticinoWEB - Heya - interesting stuff!

For starters, what you describe is definitely our goal, to provide the fastest out-of-the-box experience as possible. We feel we are close :slight_smile:

This forum post has sparked quite a bit of discussion internally amongst our systems, support, and Hummingbird teams. So we definitely appreciate that.

If you have anything else you can share about the settings you specifically used in W3 Total Cache, or if you were using page caching in Hummingbird, that would be helpful too so we can try and re-create and see what we can do. Any specific numbers and how you are testing too.

We'll keep at it on our internal sites too :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• ticinoWEB
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there, I had W3 Total Cache with Memecache setup in page, browser and database for a few weeks and observed the speed of opening websites within the multisite as well as browsing, then I installed Hummingbirds and used it for about a week to see if I would notice a difference in speed and the only observation I could get is a slower performance overall in speed loading and browsing.

In general, out of all the stuff I did to improve browsing speed has been only the prefetch like this one:
    add_action( 'wp_head', function () { ?>
    <link rel="prefetch" target="_blank" href="https://danys-lavazza.ch/">
    <link rel="prefetch" target="_blank" href="https://danys-lavazza.ch/chi-siamo/">
    <link rel="prefetch" target="_blank" href="https://danys-lavazza.ch/contact/">
    <link rel="prefetch" target="_blank" href="https://danys-lavazza.ch/contact/">
    <link rel="prefetch" target="_blank" href="https://danys-lavazza.ch/carrello/">
    <?php } );

While on website first load I found the Memecache within W3 being the best so far (even though not close enough to instantaneous as it should be)

In the past we used to make websites with just HTML, while these were not really great looking and so on, have the plus point that are MUCH faster to load, instantaneous, so I find these websites still ranking best in SEO than WP websites.

Pity to say but Wordpress is too slow, we need to do something about this, when I browse the web I can recognize if it's using Wordpress by the speed of the loading and I'm 99% of the time right when I see a slow loading time to say, that's Wordpress... is the slowest platform in the market, Typo3, Joomla etc. etc. are all MUCH FASTER OUT OF THE BOX, I was actually tempted to change platform all together till I discovered Wordpress Multisite which I could use to drastically decrease costs and therefore revenues from my clients and decided to stick to it, but I HATE THE SLOWNESS OF IT. And like me many others. Please do something effective, it should be INSTANT, not below 2 seconds, INSTANT, at least like Joomla which is fast even on a shared hosting.

• ticinoWEB
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

All these tests were done on WPMU DEV Hosting, Gold plan. Indeed I'm not using online metrix but real customer experience, I used a chronometer and WP3 Total Cache in average turned out to be about half a second faster while on online metrix like google page speed there was hardly any difference.

Can varnish cache be implemented within WPMU DEV hosting?

• Mark
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have also been doing some testing here and have come to an understanding of why W3TC is often faster than alternate caching solutions (especially for smaller sites) :

Assuming you are in an environment that utilises FastCGI/Proxy etc (ie nginx/php-fpm or apache_events/workers and php-fpm). You already have some speed ups by not loading PHP everytime you server an image or more crucially a static HTML file - your web server delivers it directly.

In cases of small to medium sites when configuring W3TC I would set the disk caching (and potentially the minify caching) to Disk Enhanced (haven't tested under nginx but under apache events/workers at the very least). This modifies the .htaccess file so that cached files are pulled direct from the filesystem without ever triggering the PHP FPM process. Most other caching plugins solely use the advanced-cache.php plugin which while this triggers early still requires some wordpress loading and PHP is always triggered to load. Even using an in memory cache still requires the PHP service to actually get the data so in a lot of cases the disk mode that bypasses all of this can be faster.

In my opinion both Hummingbird AND Defender could be improved to take more advantage of the hosting environment (using .htaccess/nginx.conf to pull files or process blocked IPs directly).

• ticinoWEB
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you mark for your input. Another observation I made recently regarding Wordpress speed is that websites running on FreeBSD are faster than websites running on Linux. Is now the third time I run on a Wordpress website that is running strangely fast, compared to the usual WP and when I dug into them I found the common denominator being the FreeBSD OS instead of Linux, one example is paviline.ch is on FreeBSD and I will move it over to my Multisite Install which runs on Linux. Furthermore this particular website (paviline.ch) has no caching plugin at all, no smashing images, it just runs smooth and fast out of the box.

Is any super hero out there who can check this out? Is maybe worth to move to FreeBSD?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.