Hourly database backups to S3 via Snapshot per sub-site

Here's what I'm trying to achieve with Snapshot: we have multisites. I'd like to get a DB backup of each multisite every hour to go into an Amazon S3 bucket. I already have the bucket setup and tested that it's working.
While the uploads are tiny, they always get stuck on "uploading".

In the S3 destination setup page with snapshot, under "Directory (optional)" it says "You can also define a directory used by a specific snapshot." , but I don't see that option when creating new snapshots. Do you have a new snapshot creator that isn't the "Snapshot Wizard"?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Corey,

Hope you're doing well :slight_smile:

Can you tell me what happens when you test connection in Amazon S3 destination settings, does it show any errors?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

In the S3 destination setup page with snapshot, under "Directory (optional)" it says "You can also define a directory used by a specific snapshot." , but I don't see that option when creating new snapshots. Do you have a new snapshot creator that isn't the "Snapshot Wizard"?

There were some changes to this since 3.1 release and this option is no longer available in Snapshot itself and needs to be set in destination settings.
    I'll need to check with the devs if there are plans on restoring this option or if we need to update the description.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Corey

Hey there!
    When I test connection to S3 it says it's all good - or it succeeded. I see the test file(s) in my bucket.

I will allow support access, no problem.

Yeah it looks like with the new interface both hourly backups are no longer possible (which is why I bought your plugin, I already have daily backups) as well as customizing the directory, which is much less important to me than the hourly backups.

• Dimitris

Hey there Corey,

hope you're doing good today and appreciate the granted support access! :slight_smile:

About the "Directory input field" issue, I've pinged our devs again on this, in order to provide some feedback.
    The "hourly frequency" is also gone as long as I can see in a test installation, so I've already updated previous query to our devs with this.
    Me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here as soon as possible!

As for the actual issue with uploading snapshot file in Amazon S3, I've also tried to replicate this and after setting up the destination in Snapshot plugin, I've also created a simple snapshot from a subsite, using only the DB tables, and my tiny ~150KB snapshot was able to be uploaded in the bucket I'd set.

I've also tried that with your snapshot, I run a new one and I'm still seeing the same status ("Uploading…") despite the long time that's passed since snapshot completed successfully.

I wonder if this is some kind of conflict that interferes with the upload process.
    Could you please try to deactivate all network activated plugins apart from WPMUDEV Dashboard and Snapshot and grab a fresh snapshot?

Prior to that, also activate WP_DEBUG, just in case there's any additional info in there.
    Simply access your server via FTP, edit the wp-config.php file, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);and replace it with the following (if the above line doesn’t exist, simply insert next snippet just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment)

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

All debug log information should be inside /wp-content/debug.log file. Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here in your next reply. If size of text file exceeds the 5MB limit of our blog, please use a service like Dropbox and post the shareable link instead.
    Ref: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/debugging-wordpress-how-to-use-wp_debug/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Corey!

I got the response from one of involved developers and the "hourly" option had been indeed removed from Snapshot in order to keep the snapshots and managed backups consistent and the UI/UX simpler (apparently that's been causing some confusion among Members). There's also another factor involved here: on setups with bigger sites and/or servers of very limited resources (which is often a case with a lot of cheaper shared hosts) a backup procedure sometimes takes hours to complete and running hourly backups there might lead to some issues such as e.g. hitting resource limits and breaking entire backup.

That being said, I have moved this thread to our "Features and Feedback" forum so other Members could give their opinion on this and if there'll be more votes for bringing back hourly backups, our developers may put them on board again in future.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.