How are spam blogs determined?

I’m a little confused by the fact that several new blogs on my network have been incorrectly identified as spam, and legitimate users asked to prove they are not spammers, while in other cases non-legitimate users have created accounts that went unchallenged but were actually spam. I understand how the pattern matching works when it comes to blog names, but the blogs being spammed did not fit any of these patterns. If I have to constantly check the spam queue to make sure good sites aren’t getting caught, it rather defeats the purpose of using the anti-splog plugin for me. I wonder if it’s necessary for me to use it, since I already have a terms of service agreement that must be checked, and email confirmation is also set up. Is the anti-splog plugin actually what requests users to enter a couple of sentences proving they are not spammers, or is that a different feature? If so, I may disable it, but I wanted to confirm first that this is what is triggering the spam alert. Thanks–

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi William Kowalski

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I’m flagging our plugin developer here as he can give you best idea regarding this. Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and provide their valuable feedback.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

• Aaron
    • CTO

The primary and most powerful way it detects spammers is when they post, it scans the post content against our machine learning db.

However we recently discovered a bug in that database, that was decreasing it’s sensitivity. After fixing that bug we found a big increase in false alarms with the default sensitivity settings. You should adjust your settings to change the sensitivity of auto-spamming sites. Look at the scores your false alarms are usually getting then set it just a little above that. You might also want to turn of auto-spamming on signup, as that is much less accurate than the post scanning.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.