"Member Site Input" & "How best to correct messy layout on Pro Sites signup page.

Greetings WPMUDEV!

So I am building a website that will offer accounts to Fans, Artists, and Bands. The idea is to have Fan pages that are free, Artist Pages that provide a few additional features, and Band sites that are pretty much a full website (sub sites).

I was thinking to incorporate the Friends plugin for Fans and use the Pro Sites plugin for Artists and Bands. So here are a few questions:

(1) Anyone have a better idea on how I might do this?

(2) Are the two plugins compatible?

(3) Any clues for setting up Pro Sites?

In regards to the last question, I ask because I was trying to think of the best way to go about it. I first thought to use the Free level for Fans, but then I found the Friends plugin and that is much more like what I am looking for.

For one thing, if an individual signed up and bought a website for their band or as an solo Artist, they would still be individually listed in the Friends directory, right? It seemed pretty important that everybody that signed up could be found in one location, be they a Fan, Band, or Artist.

Oh, and one more question... it has been a while since I have actively worked with the Pro Sites plugin, but I remember the signup page being a layout mess no matter what theme I tried. I ended up modifying the page to make it look right, but the next time it upgraded, of course my changes were gone.

So what is the best way to address that. I notice that everyone you show using the plugin has gone in and modified the signup page to make it look more professional.

Actually, I wish that page was modifiable, like the plugin's associated emails are in the admin area. Just TEMPLATE_VARIABLES that I could use to easily create the page myself in the admin area. Or maybe I could use the Gravity Forms Registration addon somehow. I'd be interested to learn if anyone has found a way to make the signup look better.

Anyway, hopefully you get the idea of what I want to accomplish, and thank you in advance for any input - I appreciate it.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Webmaster,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your detailed question.

So I am building a website that will offer accounts to Fans, Artists, and Bands. The idea is to have Fan pages that are free, Artist Pages that provide a few additional features, and Band sites that are pretty much a full website (sub sites).

I was thinking to incorporate the Friends plugin for Fans and use the Pro Sites plugin for Artists and Bands. So here are a few questions:

(1) Anyone have a better idea on how I might do this?

Are you allowing Fans, Artists and Bands to create a new site on your multisite network and then create pages on that site and implement some paid additional features in this newly created site?

If yes then you can achieve this using PRO SITES plugin and creating different levels for Fans, Artists and Bands as described here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#product-usage in these created levels you can control what features will be available for the site using Pro Sites plugin Modules.

If you are not allowing users to create new site on your multisite network but just want to protect access of certain pages then you can do so using the following MEMBERSHIP 2 PRO plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

The friends plugin adds the ability to follow and connect with other users on your WordPress Multisite so you can use it as an additional featured add-on along with either Pro Sites or Memberships 2 Pro plugins but you can't use it to provide any free access to Fans.

You can also use some other plugins like following NEW BLOG TEMPLATES plugin that helps you to use any site as a template site for newly created site containing prepopulated contents.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

(2) Are the two plugins compatible?

Yes the Friends plugin and the Pro Sites plugins are compatible so you can use both plugins on same site.

(3) Any clues for setting up Pro Sites?

Find information about setting up Pro Sites on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#product-usage

For one thing, if an individual signed up and bought a website for their band or as an solo Artist, they would still be individually listed in the Friends directory, right?

Yes you are right.

Oh, and one more question... it has been a while since I have actively worked with the Pro Sites plugin, but I remember the signup page being a layout mess no matter what theme I tried. I ended up modifying the page to make it look right, but the next time it upgraded, of course my changes were gone.

The latest version of Pro Sites plugin have many improvements on signup page so i hope you won't face any issue using it with your theme but if you still face any issue then feel free to let us know so that we can help you to resolve it with update proof way.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Webmaster

Hey, thanks for the response.

To be clear, I was considering that everyone who joined to be a "member" of the network. However, since I was planning only two paid site options, people that didn't want or need to buy a site could just sign up and would be come a member for free (having access to the network's main site.

In regards to the two paid sites, I had thought I could make the Artist site a single page theme and then limit posts and pages to one post (maybe with a custom post type?) or maybe no posts with a just a few widgets (depending on what the theme required). Meanwhile the Band sites would be more like a regular website.

I know I'm not really laying out a question at this point; I guess I'm just a bit concerned about how it will all mesh together. Anyway, good news about the improvements to Pro Sites (it needed aesthetic help for sure). Suppose I'll just have to dig in and see what comes of it all.

Thanks again for the help/input/feedback.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.