How best to set up Multisite Buddypress?

Hi guys
EnjoyTravel.world is set up as a multi-site with Domain Mapping , intended to facilitate local travel portals as part of one network, eg EnjoyScotland.Travel, EnjoyNovaScotia.ca
I want to implement Buddypress, for main features like uploading and share photo albums ('My Edinburgh vacation etc.), friending, etc.
I also want to use Group Events plugin so members can start a BP group for a festival for example, and they can then post multiple small events that make it up.
I've installed Buddypress, so now I'm wondering how to install & configure. For example should I activate it network-wide, or by site? How do I configure the Registration pages on the local sub-sites etc?

Any guidance appreciated,
cheers, Neil.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Neil McEvoy

BuddyPress must be network activated, BP doesn't play well when activated in the subsite.

Uploading photos, timeline, adding friends, creating groups etc are default features in buddypress. Saying that, if you use our events+ plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/ you can let your users to create group events as well as personal event.

So, what you want, most of them are default features and for group event you may need to make some tweaks, otherwise all are good :slight_smile:

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Neil McEvoy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Ash

Ok great got it, I will do all that.

So my main question then is how do I set up the centralized model on the sub-sites? Ie. Can I have local Registration pages that create central accounts, local Profile Editing, etc. or do I need to bounce them on to the root site for all that?

thanks, Neil.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Neil McEvoy

Wordpress multisite uses the centralized user model, though a user can be a user of one or more subsites, but that's called "adding user to subsite". So, once a user registers, he just needs to be added in several subsites.

Now, if you want to add registration form on each subsite, then you can use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

And if you want an added user to be a user of all subsites then you can use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Personally, I prefer to have one page for registration and login and use multisite user management plugin so every user is a member of every subsite. But it actually depends on how you want to design your multisite.

And when you use buddypress as network activated, then they won't have any local profile page, but the profile page on main site :slight_smile:

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.