How can I add a button to my site that records (but doesn't display) which member has clicked i

We're creating a pastoral care website for a school with a bullying response section. We'd like a one button "please keep a closer eye on me" function that records who's clicked it to bring it to staff attention, but not display on the front end of the site.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @joelbirch

I hope you are well today.

Could you provide a little more detail, if possible please :slight_smile:

How will the button work? How do the staff get notified, where does the record get sent, a user must be logged in to click or see the button?
    As it shouldn't display on the front-end, should it display in the admin or somewhere else?

I believe this may require custom coding, but just trying to get some more details, so hopefully I might be able to suggest an out of the box solution :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• joelbirch

Hey Jack, thanks for the speedy response.

I was thinking if we could tie it in with the Discussion settings, it'd be a nice tidy way to handle notifications. The button itself could functionally be an "add comment" button, but what it would record is who clicked it and when. We'd set moderation so that comments posted to the site without approval, then just never approve anything so it'd stay private.

I've looked at a couple of polling plugins but so far haven't found one that records which user has voted which way. I thought a single-option poll that records who clicks it and where might do the job. I've also had a look at some of the "Like" plugins, but they all seem to carry either too much or not enough information.

Basically, it'd just need to be a Wordpress version of the button you push in an airline seat to call the cabin crew =)

Joel

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Joel,

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay in my response. I missed your previous response.

I've been looking into this for you and I think the best way would perhaps be to use the in-built comments functionality and as you say set them to always be moderated so they don't auto post and that way if you require login, they would always be tied into the user account that sent the comment. If that makes sense?

I also found this http://codecanyon.net/item/ideas-interactive-feedback-and-commenting-system/4392757?WT.ac=category_thumb&WT.seg_1=category_thumb&WT.z_author=ThemeFluent

I think that's quite interesting, as you can run it privately :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member! Sorry again about the delay.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.