How can I add new subdomains to a domain mapped site

So we have a site setup for a client at Realty.com on our MU install.
They want to have a subdomain for their rental application at app.realty.com
When I try to add the subdomain and the redirect with cpanel, I just get an error page at the myhostingdomain.com that I have telling me that I need to register app.realty.com.

Is there some secret sauce I need to put in the .htaccess files to make this work correctly?

Say I have another site setup called realtor.com and it maps to realtor.myhostingdomain.com. Then the folks at realtor.com want to add the subdomain dallas.realtor.com to point to a page on the realtor.com website. How would I set this up?

I looked through the forums and most of what I found was about how to setup domain mapping to work with subdomains in the first place. Thankfully, we are beyond that point.

Thanks,

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Ok, so I read your post... I'm confused, are you using a subdomain install here or subdirectory install?

So we have a site setup for a client at Realty.com on our MU install.
    They want to have a subdomain for their rental application at app.realty.com
    When I try to add the subdomain and the redirect with cpanel, I just get an error page at the myhostingdomain.com that I have telling me that I need to register app.realty.com.

If you are using a subdomain install, it seems you did not set up a wildcard DNS?

If you are using sub folders then you need to create that sub domain and be sure it lands on your WordPress website so if it is done in cPanel then the directory it needs to land on is your WP install. You can use a CNAME for that also if the DNS is remote.

Is there some secret sauce I need to put in the .htaccess files to make this work correctly?

Not so much, unless you have some specific hosting environment. which requires it.

Here is what a default multisite htaccess file should look like:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

Say I have another site setup called realtor.com and it maps to realtor.myhostingdomain.com. Then the folks at realtor.com want to add the subdomain dallas.realtor.com to point to a page on the realtor.com website. How would I set this up?

So you would want:

realtor.myhostingdomain.com <-- realtor.com <-- dallas.realtor.com

Well the mapped domain is realtor.com, so you could not map dallas.realtor.com to another mapped domain. It could be a forwarder in cPanel I suppose.

Or you could have:

realtor.myhostingdomain.com <-- realtor.com

and:

realtor.myhostingdomain.com <-- dallas.realtor.com

But you can't map a sub domain to another mapped domain.

Hope that makes sense.

If you have any further questions, please just let me know.

Take care.

• realsocialpros

Timothy,
    I am using a multisite subdomain install at ultimaterealestatewebsites.com
    One of my users, lets say rogerscommercial.com wants me to add a subdomain like app.rogerscommercial.com which will point to rogerscommercial.com/application/.

I tried to setup the redirect in cpanel. I will check on a forwarder. I assume this is a cpanel thing. When I tried to setup the redirect, then ultimaterealestatewebsites thought I was trying to register a new domain.

So you say I can't map a subdomain to another mapped domain?

These folks want me to setup a subdomain for each person in their office which will redirect to that persons blog page. Like steve.rogerscommercial.com to rogerscommercial.com/pages/steve/ and susan.rogerscommercial.com to rogerscommercial.com/pages/susan

I hope this clarifies the question a bit.

Thanks for your help.

• Timothy Bowers

I tried to setup the redirect in cpanel. I will check on a forwarder. I assume this is a cpanel thing. When I tried to setup the redirect, then ultimaterealestatewebsites thought I was trying to register a new domain.

If you simply drop it on the directory for your WP site then WP will rout it.

But if you set up a redirect then it will do just that. I've attached a screenshot of a redirect which works on my WP sandbox site.

These folks want me to setup a subdomain for each person in their office which will redirect to that persons blog page. Like steve.rogerscommercial.com to rogerscommercial.com/pages/steve/ and susan.rogerscommercial.com to rogerscommercial.com/pages/susan

If you simply forward them it will work.

If they want to be so specific then then you might consider giving them their own MS install where they set up actual blogs for their staff. You could use the sub directory version perhaps and then each staff member has an actual blog rather than page. Just a though.

So you say I can't map a subdomain to another mapped domain?

Nope, you see you can only map one domain. You could enable multiple mapping, but all urls will simply fall on the main page of the site. not sub pages.

Take care.

• aecnu

Greetings realsocialpros,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.