How can I change the Comments+ Wordpress Default?

How can I rename the Wordpress default for the Wordpress Guest?
Currently, it seems it uses the site name and I would like to rename it to "Guest" until they are logged in. How could I do this?

Also, this plugin doesn't seem to be responsive on mobile device and instead mashed all of the text for the social media text together. Is it possible to just remove it all together for a certain screen size? or have them start listing vertically?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Bo,

Thank you for your questions.

How can I rename the Wordpress default for the Wordpress Guest?
    Currently, it seems it uses the site name and I would like to rename it to "Guest" until they are logged in. How could I do this?

I didn't get your question properly.

Could you please explain it a bit more in detail and attach screenshot of it if you can?

Also, this plugin doesn't seem to be responsive on mobile device and instead mashed all of the text for the social media text together. Is it possible to just remove it all together for a certain screen size? or have them start listing vertically?

I have tested it on my test site using default WordPress theme Twenty Twelve and it worked as responsive on mobile devices.

I think there may be an issue in the theme you are using that makes it unresponsive.

Could you please share me the page link on your site where you are using it so that i can troubleshoot it?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Bo

Hey Vinod,

Thank you for the prompt response!
    I have attached a screenshot displaying the first part. I've also attached a screenshot from a mobile device as well. Either way, you can see this one a post on the webiste: heatherleih.com. I have also allowed Support Admin access as well.

In regards to changing the name for the Wordpress Comment. It shows the default (if noone is logged in) as "Heather Leih's Model Site" which I believe is the website title. Instead, I would like it to say "Guest" and know where to change it for future reference.

In regards to the responsiveness. You can see from the screenshot the overlap due to the names of the social media channels. Is it to place them into 2 different rows with a media querie? or possibly not display the text and only the image?

On a side note: Where can I change the text: "Click on a tab to select...."?

I'm looking forward to your response! I'm glad that I ended up reaching out.

Thanks,
    Bo

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

If you want to customise the wording you could enable dhte Custom Comments Template add-on from:

Admin --> Settings --> Comments Plus

You can then simply move lib/forms/wdcp-custom_comments_template.php to your themes folder.

For the CSS to remove the text when it's on smaller browsers, something like this:

@media only screen and (max-width: 479px)  {
    ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-twitter-link span, ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-facebook-link span,ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-google-link span,ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-wordpress-link span{display:none;}
    ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-twitter-link, ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-facebook-link,ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-google-link,ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-wordpress-link{width:50px;}
    }

Take care.

• Bo

Thank you for CSS to remove the text. I also added this CSS to the 2nd line to align it and increase the image size:
    background-position: 14px 5px;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-size: 45%;
    Probably best to change the image size with a media querie for
    ul#all-comment-providers li a#comment-provider-facebook-link
    but it works for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I tried the Custom Comments Template and didn't have much luck. I like the theme style and already customized the look to my preference. I just want to change the default text for the "Wordpress" comment if someone isn't logged in.

It defaults to the Website Title, so assume it is in your PHP for the WPMU Comments Plus plugin. If so, can you guide me to where it is and how to change it to regular text such as "Guest" if someone isn't logged in?

• Bo

Is this the correct area?
    It seems that it tries to retrieve the name from the facebook or twitter usename and if not then it uses the site name.
    return @$this->_site[$name];

I don't know PHP, so not sure how to properly test this.

Can you provide any guidance on this issue and what I could insert for plain text?

comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_options.php

public function get_option ($name) {
    if (!$name) return false;
    if (in_array($name, $this->_fb) && @$this->_site['fb_network_only']) {
    }
    if (in_array($name, $this->_tw) && @$this->_site['tw_network_only']) {
    }
    return @$this->_data[$name] ? @$this->_data[$name] : @$this->_site[$name];
    }

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Hope you had a great weekend.

You can change the default name (when logged out) by using the following constant to your wp-config.php:

define('WDCP_DEFAULT_WP_PROVIDER_NAME','Hey');

Change the Hey to whatever you need.

That way you don't need to hack the core of the plugin.

If wish to look at the original code controlling this in case you need something else then it's:

/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_comments_worker.php Line 90 onwards, it starts:

if (!in_array('wordpress', $skips)) {

That controls the WP comments tab part. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.