How can I change what is posted to FaceBook

Ultimate?

I have the autopost feature on, but what it actually posts is poor, it doesn't entice engagement and serves no purpose in it's current state...

The generated Facebook post on my page wall has the title of my blog post along with a box showing the featured pic, if there is one, next to the title of the post again (linked to the post) and then the tag line for my site underneath that.

So, as it is, not engaging in anyway.

The tag line for my site means absolutely nothing when used as a tagline for a title of a post.

There's nothing else to read.

The first few lines of the post would be good, better still the actual defined excerpt.

The whole point of the post to the wall is to notify and engage a response.

This part of the plugin doesn't do either.

How can I change what is posted please - so I can engage the reader in making a decision to click the link and read the post on my blog?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Wow. Interesting way to put things. So, the plugin is actually designed to work exactly the way you're wishing. By default, it attempts to pull in the first few words from your post. If there is a manual excerpt available with the post it will use that instead.

Are you using the OpenGraph protocol with your Facebook app? Have you given the plugin "extended" permissions within the settings?

The fact that this is not happening means there's a breakdown somewhere - either the app isn't configured properly or the site doesn't have permissions to post the information (there can be a breakdown in communication between the two and permissions need to be reset).

Have you checked the error log available under Facebook>Error Log in your wp-admin? Is there anything there?

We'll help ya get this working correctly, just a bit more info and things to try to get there. Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Ok then it sounds like you're up and running correctly. Unfortunately Facebook often has severe issues with their API which we have to wait for them to sort it on their end. It's much more common than any of us here are happy with.

That being said, I'm going to pass your issue along to our lead developer and see if he has a suggestion or is aware of a current bug that would be hindering you here. We'll let you know and see what else can be done.

Thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

As Mason said, the plugin will indeed post an excerpt from your content. Here's an example post just posted from a test install: http://i.imgur.com/USYhw.png However, the thing about Facebook publishing is that the plugin will post your post to Facebook as soon as you hit "publish" - so your content (or at least the first couple of lines) should already be there. Also, the plugin will strip all registered shortcodes from your post, so if your content is wrapped in a shortcode, it might result in the kind of posts you experienced.

• Paul Foster Marketing
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Okay, so i have been testing...

It's not to do with the markdown plugin, or any clashes with other plugins as far as I can tell.

I thought it may be to do with using 'excerpts', - Do I need the the 'summary' option checked in 'Reading Settings', or do I need to actually writing a specific exceprt for the post, maybe, so the except is used - it seems that is the only thing not working for me.

And is it just me with this issue?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Paul,

I thought it may be to do with using 'excerpts', - Do I need the the 'summary' option checked in 'Reading Settings', or do I need to actually writing a specific exceprt for the post, maybe, so the except is used - it seems that is the only thing not working for me.

No, you shouldn't need to adjust your reading settings at all. As for the excerpt - it's only used if one exists (ie you created an excerpt for that post) otherwise, it just pulls the original content from the post.

Went through and looked and I didn't see any other users with reports of this issue. Sometimes folks have trouble connecting the site to facebook (either a server config issue or something odd with facebook's api) but not pulling in the site tagline only.

Looks like a custom theme, correct? Are you interacting with the publishing of posts with anything in the theme or another plugin?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.