How can I configure in other that only administrators can create Communities?

How can I configure in other that only administrators can create Communities?

• Ash

Hello @carlo

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You can choose not to network activate it and activate it by site basis. this way just anyone would not be able to use it... also if you are using prosites, you can add this plugin to a premium plugin and only prosites would be able use this plugin..

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

• Paul

Actually you can do something a little more advanced. Each of the menu items is tied to a user role capability. You would need to install something like

When the Community plugin is activated is adds some default capabilities to the existing WordPress user roles.

communities_view - controls who can see the main menu item.
    communities_manage - controls who can access the Communities sub-menu item.
    add-communities - controls who can add new communities.

• Carlo

Hi Paul,

I've tried with User Role Editor and also with PFront User Role Editor.
    1- I change in the "Other Capabilities" section disabling "communities_manage" and "communities_add" and save
    2- Go again on the role capabilities and nothing changed

Could you help me to understand why I cannot change such a setting? If I change any other item (i.e. manage_links) it works fine

• Patrick

Hey there @carlo

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I just tested adjusting the capabilities of the Subscriber role as suggested using User Role Editor and can confirm that there is something a bit awry. :wink:

In my test, changes to the communities capabilities (allowing only communities_view) did not change upon first saving them, but they did reflect my changes upon a second attempt. That would appear to be an issue with the User Role Editor plugin, not Communities.

Once the changes had been saved, visiting the admin of a site where Communities was activated as a subscriber user, I could see only the "Communities" and "Find Communities" menu items as expected (1st screenshot)

However, upon clicking "Find Communities", the "Add Communities" menu item also appeared, and that screen and functionality were accessible. Oops. (2nd & 3rd screenshots)

I'll see if @Paul or another developer can look into this issue.