How can I enable a global theme for marketpress?

I am using MarketPress on a multisite installation. I am using a theme called Flexishop and created a custom child theme. I would like all my sites/stores to automatically have the same theme, sidebars, menus, etc. so it looks like one site but still has the multi-site backend capabilities. Is this possible without having to set each site up individually? Thank you so much for your help!!

• icandy-graphics

Thank you mort3n and hpidriver for your suggestions! Even after I have the theme activated on the new site, the widgets, sidebars and menus are not set up, so I don't think just setting the default theme will quite accomplish what I am hoping to do. I have downloaded a plug-in called "Network Wide Menu" as well as a plug-in called Multisite Widgets, but these together still don't quite do what I need.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about using "New Blog Templates." I could hard code the navigation and some of the widget information, but I feel like there must be a better way to handle this in the WP interface.

I am trying to set up a store where vendors can log in and upload products to sell (without being able to see anyone else's products). I want all the "stores" to look like one big store, so they don't need to be able to activate different themes or really do anything besides add and edit products. I'll be holding their money until the goods are delivered, so I don't necessarily need the chained payments feature of Marketpress Multisite. Maybe doing multisite is overkill for what I'm trying to do, but I haven't figured out any other way to do this.

I don't mind having to set up some things when I first create a vendor store (like the widgets, menus, etc.) but I don't want to have to go into 100 different stores later on if I want to change the sidebar.

I think I'm missing something obvious here. Any suggestions you have would be sooooo appreciated! Thanks for your time!

• aecnu

Greetings icandy-graphics,

Thank you for your detailed explanations to include what you have and have not tried.

The New Blog Templates plugin is indeed the plugin to go with for this mission.

Follow its instructions on the usage tab and make a sub site (NOT the main site) the template site for the down line of stores and make it so it is the default template making sure no other themes are installed or network activated.

That should do the job for you and more.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• icandy-graphics

Ah thank you for clarifying that New Blog Templates is a plugin, aecnu! That looks like it would save a ton of time in the intial setup. However, one of my main concerns is that once I have a few dozen child stores set up, if I want to change a sidebar element or add a page to the navigation, I will need to go in to each site and make the change. The New Blog Templates usage says the following:
    "Any changes made to a template blog affect any sites created after you’ve made the new changes, it doesn’t affect sites already created."
    I'm trying to figure out a way to make all the menus, sidebars, widgets, etc. global and dynamic so I only need to updated the parent menu or widget. I just found this plug-in:
    http://www.yann.com/en/wp-plugins/yd-wpmu-sitewide-options
    After installing it, it looks like it could work in combination with some of these other plug-ins. I'll keep you posted if I figure anything else out.

Thank you so much for your time!!

• hpidriver

However, one of my main concerns is that once I have a few dozen child stores set up, if I want to change a sidebar element or add a page to the navigation, I will need to go in to each site and make the change.

From what I understand - if all your dozen child stores are pulling from the same theme files, you would just have to make changes to those files from your network admin Editor and it would affect all subsites without having to go into each subsite individually.

• aecnu

Greetings icandy-graphics,

Modifying the theme directly of course works network wide if that is what you folks decide to do i.e. change the theme mid stream.

"Any changes made to a template blog affect any sites created after you’ve made the new changes, it doesn’t affect sites already created."

Confirmed because the site was only referring to the New Blog Template settings during setup and then uses regular integrations from there forward.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.