How can I filter members by 'Visitor (set by default)' subscription

We use Membership plugin and Batch Create. In the past after adding a batch of new users I went to Membership > All Members and filtered members by 'Visitor' subscription to find all the new members. I could then check them all with one mouse click and, using Bulk Actions > Move subscription, I could move them all from 'Visitor' to the subscription they required.

Since a Membership update, new members are given 'Visitor (set by default)' subscription but this does not show in the filter (and filtering by 'Visitor' no longer reveals the new members). With a large batch of new members, it can take an hour or more to find each member and add to correct subscription one by one! Hope there is a better solution. Thanks!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @PCI Team, I hope you're well today!

I have notified the plugin developer on this issue, hopefully their insights will help us figure this one out.
    Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities so this could take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• PCI Team
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Rheinard

Thanks for investigating. I know definitely that it wasn't working on 16 April (new users given 'Visitor (set by default)' instead of 'Visitor' subscription as before) and I think that it might not have been working on 28 March either. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

I think it may have happened when I updated to Version 3.5 released on 20 March, especially as the changelog refers to 'Reworked default subscription setup for users without subscriptions'.

If there were a way to filter members by this default subscription, that would be great.

Many thanks

Frances

• Rheinard

Hi Frances,

You'd be correct in saying that this has changed since the move from 3.4 to 3.5.

Here's the behaviour for 3.5:

If a user registers, but doesn't sign up for a subscription, then whatever subscription you specify in the settings "Use Subscription:" will apply to them by default. Not assigned, thus not a true subscription. Which is why the filter fails.

Like yourself, this caused confusion with other users. Just by having user assume the default subscription also doesn't count them in the subscription. Its more of a fall back behaviour if a user is registered, but doesn't have a subscription.

To make this behaviour a bit more like the old behaviour, in 3.5.1.4 we introduced the ability to have a default subscription assigned. This only works when users are added using 3rd party scripts, using "New User" and plugins like Batch Create, not when a user clicks to "Sign Up" to a subscription.

In your case, by checking the box "Assign first subscription level to new users" you are explicitly assigning the subscription. Thus it will say "Visitor" instead of "Visitor (set by default)". This will also make the filters work.

Its not an ideal scenario for everyone, which is why we now have the option to turn it on or off.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• PCI Team

Hello Rheinard

Many thanks for explaining the new behaviour. I have checked the box "Assign first subscription level to new users" under Membership > Options. Very quick and simple solution.

Thank you!

Best wishes

Frances

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.