How can I fix a memory issue with MarketPress with over 500 products?

I have this site that has all the NFL teams, all the NCAA teams and MLB teams. However, when I am importing the products for the NCAA teams (about 30 products per team), I get a Fatal error "out of memory". I edited the WP-Config file and put it to 768M for memory limit but no go. Should I increase it more? Or should I edit the PHP load server-side? Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings CodyO151,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

I edited the WP-Config file and put it to 768M for memory limit but no go

Does your hosting have this in real memory?

I personally have never adjusted memory in the wp-config file but do have it set in the php.ini file where it is sure to take effect.

Attached below is phpinfo.php file in which you extract on your computer and then you place the phpinfo.php file via FTP in the root of your WordPress installation.

Next you want to call it up ion your browser: http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

Now lets find the settings of importance:

max_execution_time

and

memory_limit

Please advise what those two items indicate.

Cheers, Joe

• Cody Oelker
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for your help. I uploaded and went to the file in my browser and here are the results:

(Directive / Local value / Master value):
    max_execution_time / 30 / 30

and

memory_limit / -1 / -1

On my server when I edit the PHP control file, I think php.ini (?) it says I can set the memory_limit and it says -1 = unlimited...

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Cody

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings CodyO151,

Thank you for the feedback and the input to include effort put into this ticket.

What I truly think is that you do not have enough real memory making the -1 irrelevant because it cannot go any higher then it is already at in real configuration i.e. the server may have 8GB of RAM but your host has it set to let you use 32 MB therefore no matter what you set the php.ini, it has no real effect.

I would therefore contact your host and ask them how much RAM is allocated to your account.

I do want to take a moment to congratulate you on having the knowledge to modify the php.ini file, something that is not very common amoung members.

Please advise as to how much RAM you are really being allocated, truly intriguing.

Cheers, Joe

• Cody Oelker
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the help! I checked with my host and I currently only have 1GB RAM. I could upgrade but I can't really afford any extra bills right now. It sucks because I have a few other websites that don't require an upgrade for performance, just this site because it has too many products. I may have to cut down on the products...

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings CodyO151,

Thank you so much for letting us know and sorry I could not be of further assistance but as you can see this has turned out to be a hosting issue.

Just of curiosity, what kind of a hosting plan do you have by the way? Dedicated Server? VPS?

Cheers, Joe

• Cody Oelker
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It's ok. I have contacted them and they say that this issue would be resolved with more RAM but I can't afford that right now. The plan I want is about $130 /mo. but I have too many bills and a newborn so that isn't feasible.

I have a VPS through asmallorange.com and they have been pretty good to me. I plan on upgrading some day but not just for one site...

Thanks,
    Cody

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.