How can I get jquery mega menu to work in the header menu of FrameMarket?

I have downloaded FrameMarket and ecommerce plugin but can't see how to get mega menu plugin to work on the header section menu.

Can you help with this please and also advise on how I can use an image slider in the top of my home page directly below the menu option, where I intend to have the mega menu?

Also, can you direct me to some good video tutorials for using this theme?

Many Thanks

• Ash

Hello @James

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Would you please send me a link of the mega menu plugin? There should be instruction in the docs.

For image slider, it's almost same, you need to choose a slider plugin and insert the code into header.php file. Do you have any chosen plugin?

We don't have any video tutorial for this theme, but you can see the docs in /library/docs/ folder.

IMPORTANT: Please note that, you need to use the child theme - grid market. You will find the theme in /wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/ folder. Copy that folder, paste into /wp-content/themes/ folder and activate the grid market theme.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• James

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the speedy reply and your related comments!..I can see there is going to be a learning curve here for me, as I have only just got started with wordpress after leaving previous platform I was using.

I am unsure about where to access the grid market child theme in order to copy and paste it to activate it. Can you elaborate on how to locate the child theme please!

I understand how to insert the code for the slider into the php header section so that should be okay!..can you recommend a slider that works well with this theme?

With regards the link for the jquery mega menu, do you mean the link where I got it?

I guess I am a bit slow getting started with WP but should get familiar with it pretty quickly, the more I work with it.

Thanks

• Ash

Hi @James

I hope you are well today.

I am unsure about where to access the grid market child theme in order to copy and paste it to activate it. Can you elaborate on how to locate the child theme please!

1. Please login via ftp
    2. Navigate to /wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/ there you will see gridmarket theme
    3. Rigth click on grid-market theme, click on copy/move
    4. Go to /wp-content/themes/ and right click > paste
    5. Go to your admin dashboard > appearances > themes and activate the grid market theme.

can you recommend a slider that works well with this theme?

You can try any slider with the theme. Any plugin that is developed using codex standard, should work with this theme.

With regards the link for the jquery mega menu, do you mean the link where I got it?

Yes, exactly :slight_smile:

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• James

Hi Ash,

Yes I did figure out that it was my hosting company and I did give Fireftp a go since I use FireFox anyway, and found it very simple to use.

I was able to follow your instructions to 3) to find gridmarket folder but unable to copy it. When I right click on it I am getting the option to copy url and then http or ftp, but unable to copy and paste as far as I can see.

Sounds like its something I may have overlooked but will try and figure it out...nearly there though!

Regards

James

• Ash

Well, maybe it's easier if you try to copy via cpanel (assuming your hosting software is cpanel). Please follow this tutorial then:
    http://support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/copying-and-moving-files-in-file-manager
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4qcNZsGz4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5kRk552lA

If you are using other software rather than cpanel, you can search in youtube for that software and you will get many video tutorials on it.

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on this.

Cheers
    Ash

• James

Hi Ash,

Just to let you know that I finally got gridmarket installed and it appears to be up and running fine, all I have to do now is start customizing the theme to get it the way I need it.

With regards to the Jquery Mega Menu, yes the link above is the correct one. Can you elaborate on inserting the code please, I have read the instructions that came with Jquery, which is a widget and it has many custom colors and a few options for design etc.

If I am unable to insert it as a widget then how will I be able to use the custom features that comes with mega menu widget?

Thanks again Ash, really appreciate your help with this, BTW, do you have any links that may be useful with regards to customizing gridmarket or do you know of any good video tutorials?

Regards

James

• James

Hi Ash,

I tried following the tutorial advise for adding mega menu widget to gridmarket but doesn't work http://www.designchemical.com/blog/index.php/wordpress-tips/wordpress-tutorial-adding-a-widget-area-to-your-theme-files/.

I am getting error messages for both step 1 and 2, so I have deleted the code and the site is back to the way it was prior to inserting the codes.

Can you advise how I can get jquey mega menu to work within grid market.

I have tried following advise in community area but unfortunately I can only find one direct thread that is incomplete dialog for the issue.

Regards

James

• James

Hi Ash,

First of all thanks for getting mega menu up and running, I managed to view it briefly before I was automatically logged out of WP. It wont let me access with my password, nor will it accept my proper email address in order to change the password.

As yet I have not received the email from your email dept so I will be unable to log back in until I get it. It is a bit strange though as it didn't accept my email to change it.

I had a quick look in the widget area Ash, can you tell me where the settings are in order to change the colors etc, as I only saw a few of the basic settings but nothing that will allow me to change sub menu settings or colors etc.

Don't know how you got it up and running but thanks again, it will be so handy when I start uploading the tracks, since there will be in excess of a thousand or so over the next 18 months, way too much for a normal menu to handle effectively.

Kind Regards

James

• James

Hi Ash,

Just to let you know that the email with new password did arrive shortly after I sent last email request but had some guests last night and was unable to continue further.

Thanks for setting up the example pages, I will play around with the settings later on today, I am anxious to get the site put together but still waiting on design images etc.

I guess it will be trial and error when getting started with the theme but I now have access to the video tutorials which ought to speed things up a touch.

It's a bit of a learning curve for me also, as I have only just switched to WP after resisting it for quite some time. I found that the platform I was using previously was fast becoming outdated and WP has so many themes and plugins and doesn't seem to stand still at all.

Anyway Ash, thanks again, I will no doubt come back to you but will do thorough search in my admin panel for answers first.

BTW is there any way to customize mega menu sub menu or is it just standard, which beyond the skins provided, there doesn't appear to be any way of customizing further!

Best Wishes

James

• Ash

Hello James

I hope you are well today and thanks for such comment! Always feel free to ask us if you have any issues.

About the mega menu, I didn't see any other customizing option rather than the widget settings. Well, I think you can ask the plugin developer in the support section about how you want it to be customized and I believe they will answer you about this.

And welcome to wordpress world, you are gonna love it :slight_smile:

Cheers
      Ash

• James

Hi again Ash,

Thanks for your reply and I do have a few other questions for you and perhaps you can advise me.

I have been reviewing some of the support threads in the support community since I don't wish or really need to have a left sidebar, which is why I wanted the mega menu.

It seems that the widget area in the sidebar is hardwired and there could be a difficulty in removing it. Do you know if this is correct or perhaps this could be an older thread I was reading but I have dabbled with it and in the end I left it, as is for now.

Also, I am finding it a bit of a slow process with respect to getting the design underway. The video tutorials I have been watching give a walk-through of some of the powerful features in framemarket but there seems to be a quite a learning curve with it,...if you are new to it.

Before I can start building the store I need to get the design right in the first place, can you advise the best method for doing this, with this theme. Where would you start with the design if you were new to this.

I know that many themes have page builders incorporated into them but I am hesitant about using them as I do not wish to lose the integration with gridmarket, since it is specifically designed to work with framemarket. (that is the system I have just left for wp)

When I have the design the way I need it I will be transferring a lot of data to this site that I have already created and I will be able to build it pretty fast, but the design is going to be the learning curve for me.

Do you think that the wordpress tutorials would be helpful for designing this theme or should I just go by trial and error.

I did see a thread that was directing someone to flexmarket theme which has a pagebuilder built into it and is compatible with marketpress, but not sure if I would lose the gridmarket store which I like.

Sorry for the long support questions but I do appreciate your input Ash. I guess I have been lazy after using the last platform I was used to, but WP is far superior, I can definitely see how more innovative the people are in this community.

Best Wishes

James

• Michael Bissett

Hey @James,

It seems that the widget area in the sidebar is hardwired and there could be a difficulty in removing it. Do you know if this is correct or perhaps this could be an older thread I was reading but I have dabbled with it and in the end I left it, as is for now.

Are you wanting to remove the sidebar from the theme entirely, or just on certain pages? If you're wanting to remove it entirely, you could go into your site via FTP, navigate to wp-content/themes/gridmarket, and remove:

<?php get_sidebar() ?>

From the code (please make a backup of the file before you do this!).

Before I can start building the store I need to get the design right in the first place, can you advise the best method for doing this, with this theme. Where would you start with the design if you were new to this.

The trick with that last question though, is that the look I'd be going for in a store may be entirely different than what you're looking for, thanks to design variables like colors, layout requirements (menus, content, etc.), etc.

Simply put, we're getting into the realm of web design here, which involves more than technical details. The basic questions for this would be:

- What do I want my site to look like? (you can draw a rough sketch for yourself)
    - What do I want my site to have, in terms of functionality?
    - Will the theme I've chosen do the job; or, if it won't do it right off the bat, can I make it do what I need it to do? (within reason, since at this point, you're the web designer here, and it's your time you're using)

I did see a thread that was directing someone to flexmarket theme which has a pagebuilder built into it and is compatible with marketpress, but not sure if I would lose the gridmarket store which I like.

You would be switching from one child theme to another (Gridmarket and Flexmarket are both child themes for Framemarket), so there may be some functionality losses if the new child theme doesn't have something the old one did.

But, you can find this out pretty quickly by installing Flexmarket, giving it a quick test, and seeing if it works for you. If it doesn't, you can always switch back. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

• James

Hi Ash,

Hope you are well, I am starting to get to grips with gridmarket and getting page structure in place but I have a few specific questions for you which I am finding difficult to find in the forum regarding menu structure and categories.

Am I right in suggesting that "store" is the default menu in gridmarket, if so then I am unsure how to integrate it with respect to the mega menu you helped me install.

It also seems that gridmarket supports only one menu so could you help me with the following questions please.

I only have room for a certain number of links on the mega menu before it starts putting them below the first row and starts a second row, which is not the ideal look I am trying to achieve for the site.

1) Am I able to include the sidebar as a second option to include further menu links, which I am unable to include in the top mega menu listings and if so, how do I separate the two when I am adding categories and pages within the admin panel?

2) I currently have around 30 main categories I wish to link to one of the mega menu links and within each category there will be multiple product pages. Can you advise me how to set this up please and how can I also get them to show within the store default, if that,s possible. I am not sure if the mega menu over-rides the store default or not or how to get the categories to show in both the mega menu bar and in the store default.

I am currently adding pages and sub-pages but don't think I am doing it properly, as the categories should initially link to one of the main links in the menu.

3) I would also like to add certain pages to the footer area only, such as privacy-about and legal pages etc, but again I am unsure how to do this, since I don't want them to show in the main menu at the top.

In other words, I would like to have some main categories linking to the main mega menu area and others to the sidebar, which cannot fit into the mega menu bar. I would also like to utilize the sidebar for other things like tag cloud etc.

And use the footer area to accommodate other less important pages, as mentioned above.

Thanks very much for your time to my questions Ash, I hope you can help me with this.

Best Wishes

James

• James

Hi Ash,

Just a quick update to my last request regarding adding categories to the menu. It would appear that there are two category areas and that is why I was unable to add them to the menu.

One appears in the wordpress admin and one under the products section of the gridmarket admin area. I am able to structure the mega menu correctly adding categories from within the wp admin area for categories which is fine, but what effect does this have in the overall site structure, as I asked in my previous questions?

Can you still assist with the other points mentioned in my last post please?

Also Ash, I haven't rated any of your assistance to date and I am unsure how, can you advise on this please, as you have been so helpful since I joined wpmudev.

Regards

James

• Patrick

Hi again @James

I hope you're having a great day!

Am I right in suggesting that "store" is the default menu in gridmarket, if so then I am unsure how to integrate it with respect to the mega menu you helped me install.

To add the "Store" page and its sub-pages to the mega-menu, simply add the "Store" page to the menu you're using under Appearance > Menus.

I currently have around 30 main categories I wish to link to one of the mega menu links and within each category there will be multiple product pages.

It looks like you're getting there judging by the by the "Hypnosis Downloads" menu. :slight_smile:

In other words, I would like to have some main categories linking to the main mega menu area and others to the sidebar, which cannot fit into the mega menu bar.

You simply need to create another menu under Appearance > Menus with all the stuff you want in your sidebar. Then add another instance of the mega-menu widget to your sidebar under Appearance > Widgets and select the menu you just created.

I would also like to add certain pages to the footer area only, such as privacy-about and legal pages etc.

There is an area specifically for that in the GridMarket theme options (screenshot). Simply format your links to your pages like so:
    <a href=&quot;http://hypnosismultimedia.com/privacy-policy&quot;>Privacy Policy</a>

• James

Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for your support with the menu options, very helpful.

I have another question for you as I am still trying to get the basics done with gridmarket.

I have just downloaded TinyMCE Advanced and TinyMCE and TinyMCE Advanced Professsional Formats and Styles to give me some options for designing my site but despite going through the installation instructions several times, I am unable to see the editor buttons on my pages.

Is there something within gridmarket that may be preventing me getting this done?

I have checked with my ftp and the plugins are installed within the wp/content/plugins successfully and I have activated them both within wp.

Regards

James

• James

Hi again Patrick,

In addition the my last request, I have copied the following information which appears in the setting dialog of TinyMCE...but unsure if I this may be the cause of the issue:

Settings: TinyMCE Advanced Professional Styles

A good WordPress Plugin means a lot of work. Please consider donating if you like it. Thank you.
    Change the visual style of your TinyMCE

To change the visual style appearance of your TinyMCE visual editor, we have to create two stylesheets: editor-style.css (TinyMCE only) and editor-style-shared.css (both, TinyMCE and your theme).

Please choose a location for your files:

Directory of current Theme (do not choose in case of automatically updated theme)

Directory of current Child Theme (do not choose in case of automatically updated child theme)

Advanced: Use any custom directory inside of wp-content: /wp-content/editor-style[-shared].css

Create/edit your editor style located at http://hypnosismultimedia.com/wp-content/editor-style.css on your server.
    Create/edit your theme/editor shared style located at http://hypnosismultimedia.com/wp-content/editor-style-shared.css on your server.
    Manage your custom formats and styles for TinyMCE

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

James

• Michael Bissett

Hey @James, really appreciate your patience here! :slight_smile:

After looking at TinyMCE Advanced Professional Styles more, I noticed that it was last noted to work on WordPress 3.6.1 (which was released almost a year ago).

I tried installing it on a dev site of mine (WordPress 3.9.1, no other plugins activated), and when I tried clicking on the "Styles" menu it created when making a new post, all I got was a blank drop-down box.

Looking over the features though, the styling of the CSS shouldn't be necessary, that's only if you're wanting a custom look for the editor. At this point, I'd say you'd want to only use TinyMCE Advanced, as not only does that offer quite a few features, but it's stable as well. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

• James

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply and researching the issue with TinyMCE Advanced prof.Styles. Yes, I was also seeing this blank drop down box but after deactivating it TinyMCE Advanced is now working perfectly, many thanks for that.
      The only thing I am unable to see or use now is a font color editor, which I was hoping the plugin would also provide, but can't see anywhere to do this.

Is there an option for using font color within the editors features, or is there another plugin for this?..or would I have to do this somewhere within the css?

I reaaly would like to be able to use color fonts within the text design of my pages for headlines and for highlighting specific areas of interest etc.

Regards

James

• James

Hi Ash,

Nice to hear from you again, I think Michael has been able to identify the issue I was having with the TinyMCE Styles Plugin and now have other version of plugin working fine now!

I do have a question for you though regarding the Jquery Mega Menu that you installed for me several days ago!

After trying to use the menu, I found that it did not incorporate the many additional features that I required, despite several days of trying to get it to work the way I needed it do do.

I have since purchased the UberMega Menu which has some amazing features on it and have decided to use this plugin instead. Would you be able to assist me with this Ash, since I am unsure how you did this to begin with?

I can activate the support again, if you could do this please?

Best Wishes

James

• James

Hi again Ash,

I have granted access in the support area and here is the link to ubermenu KnowledgeBase, if you are able to install it to grid market for me.

http://sevenspark.com/docs/ubermenu

I will have a look at the installation instructions but due to the difficulty I was having with the Jquey MMenu, I am not confident about it just yet.

I am starting to get a bit more familiar with the gridmarket and I am quite excited about some of the designs people are achieving with it, but I think it will be several months yet before I am through the learning curve..worse luck!

Regards

James

• Ash

Hello James

Of course we will help you regarding this. But as the topic is different than the original title of this topic, would you please create a new thread here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

It will help us to categorize the thread, also it will help other members so that they are not confused after seeing a pretty long thread if they are in this thread :slight_smile:

You can tag me (Ash) in the new question if you want :slight_smile: Or someone will be there asap to help you :slight_smile:

Thank you for your understanding :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.