how can i get more fields for directory records?

I am looking to have specific fields for the following information.

1, Company … feature exists

2, Address: street, city, state, zip, country … need to add as separate fields tagged as “main” address … Google maps link would be nice addition

3, Key people (names, address [same or different-add from main company address], phone numbers, faxes, emails) … need to add as separate field array (each new name would entail associated array of fields) … Google maps link would be nice addition

4, Services (ideally select / add from master category list; otherwise just string field for searchable listing) … need to add as separate field

5, Industry categories (select / add from master category list) … feature exists

6, Affiliations (ideally select / add from master category list; otherwise just string field for searchable listing) … need to add as separate field

7, Description (including embedded media) … feature exists

8, URL for company website … need to add as separate field

The purpose is to make this easy to show, read, sort (by field) and search.

Please let me know me know options if Directory Plugin is not perfect. Also, i could not find the Directory Theme that is mentioned. Where would i find that if it is a better place to start.

thanks,

Mark

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @mark128green

Welcome to the forums!

Please let me know me know options if Directory Plugin is not perfect.

Perfection doesn’t exist in the world of programming. Or any other world for that matter. It’s a question of perception; there will always be those who want the code to do something it wasn’t designed to do. :slight_smile:

That said, go to “CustomPress” in your wp-admin (a copy of it should have been installed automatically by the Directory plugin). There, you can create the custom fields you need and assign them to your directory listings.

Also, i could not find the Directory Theme that is mentioned.

The default theme comes bundled in the plugin download. You’ll find it in directory/themes. Upload the default folder via FTP to your wp-content/themes folder and you’ll be able to activate it on your site.

• mark128green
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Patrick,

I looked at the theme and decided to stay with the Business Theme as it gave me more flexibility on look and function beyond directory.

The CustomPress instructions worked beautifully. Thank you!

I even created customize taxonomies for listing types. Now I am trying to figure out how to action these customized categorizations as filters (akin to the category drop down widget). Is there a way to build these widgets easily? Or is there another way?

I didn’t see how to action this filtering with the shortcodes using pages instead. If there is an avenue here, I am game with a little direction.

Ideally, I would like to filter with multiple drop downs. A search feature for the directory contents would be excellent as well.

More advice here would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

• mark128green

yes, that topic was definitely resolved. thank you again.

two new questions:

1, Background: I am working with the Busines Theme… really like; however, the “template options” for “pages” do not seem to be aligned with the widget areas. The template options are: default, 3 columns, blogs and news, buddypress, full width, left side bar, members, right sidebar. The widget areas are: blog, 3 col left, 3 col right, 404, left, page, right, home. … Through experiments, I am able to figure out some of the alignment between templates and widgets, but it appears that their are some templates without pre-defined widget areas and conversely some widget areas without templates. …. My question is: is there a template to widget alignment tool or some easy way to synchronize them?

2, Background: I am working with the “Q&A” plugin from wpmuorg. Question: where or how can i provide a button or page for members to submit questions?

Thanks again for all of your help… I am really liking wpmu! It is most helpful for someone like me.

Mark

• mark128green

Got it. Sorry about that. Happy to be good citizen. Just posted as new thread. I tried looking into some of the php files to synch the templates and widget areas, but haven’t quite figured in out yet. It looks to me (new to this game) like there are no systematic requirements that widget areas necessarily have templates.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.