How can I get open access to my tools and membership if my host is blocking it?

To whom it may concern:

I recently invested in WPMU Dev and donloaded the dashboard. I was extremely excited to dive into the great plug-ins, themes and community and had my host open up access so that I could install the dashboard. However, now it appears that I can't install any of the plug-ins because access is being denied. Does this mean that I have to submit a support ticket every time I want to download and install a new plug-in? Is there any way to install these plug-ins manually or have an open access that will allow my site to communicate with your servers? I am concerned that I won't be able to utilize any of these features. I have already paid for an entire year of hosting and would prefer not to move this site to another host. My only other option right now would be to develop a new site under a different host and build out a business from there. However, this will also take a great amount of time and resources and I am trying to keep focus on the sites that I am already operating. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to make these services work here. My host said that they don't leave open communication for security purposes, but I am not happy that it is blocking my membership, rendering it virtually useless. Thanks in advance for any assistance!