How can I have a successful update?

Hello
Last month we did an update and it was a disaster. Teachers and students lost work and we needed to restore a large amount of information. Do you have any suggestions for a successful update? What should I do before updating to make sure we don't lose valuable information? thanks for your help

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brenda,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm guessing you're referring to our CoursePress plugin, is that right? An update shouldn't cause any data loss so in case it happens please contact us immediately (by starting a support thread here) so we could investigate the issue. Our developers do their best to make sure that each update is safe and as flawless as possible but there's so many WP + Theme + Plugins + Server configuration around that it's nearly impossible to test each plugin against each and every existing configuration.

As for suggestions for successful update. As I said, there's no any special requirements. I'd however suggest taking following precautions:
    - make sure that you keep you WordPress up to date
    - make additional full backups of the site prior to important updates
    - try to update plugins/themes "on the go", meaning that it's always better to update gradually from previous version to current version rather than right away from an old release (a few versions back) to the newest one.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Brenda

Thank you for your response. I am taking over for the previous person and WP is very new to me. After the last update, units that teachers had created disappeared from the site. The individual who did that update at that time had to do restore the site with the backup. I thought he had created a thread about issue but looked through the past threads and realized he hadn't.
    So if I understand you correctly:
    1. First make a backup of the site.
    2. Make sure WordPress is up to date.
    3. Perform updates on necessary plug ins.

Do I have the right steps?

How do I compete a back up of my site? Can I do this within WP?

Brenda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Brenda!

I am taking over for the previous person and WP is very new to me.

I can definitely understand how "painful" it can be :slight_smile:

So if I understand you correctly:
    1. First make a backup of the site.
    2. Make sure WordPress is up to date.
    3. Perform updates on necessary plug ins.

That would be right. However in case of extremely outdated WordPress or its plugins it may be better to perform those updates gradually. For example: if a plugin currently used on the site is in version 2.5.7 and current release is 3.3.8 it would be better first to manually update it to the highest 2.x.x version available, then again to the lowest 3.x.x release and then perform automatic update to latest release. That is, of course, if there are downloads of previous versions available for the given plugin. Otherwise, the full update to latest release is the only possible way to go.

How do I compete a back up of my site? Can I do this within WP?

Alex above linked to our Snapshot Pro plugin. That's a suitable tool for this task.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Brenda

Hello
    I have a quick question ... I want to install the plugin snapshot pro but it says to make sure my WP is up to date and is WordPress 4.4.2 I have looked and can see which version of plug ins i have but where do I look to see which version of WordPress I am using?

another question. Our site is very very slow and I was told to add a plug in to compress images. Any suggestions? Which one would work the best for our site? thanks again for your help
    Brenda

• Brenda

Okay.. I have found information about how to back up my database with phpMyAdmin. Then I found this....
    The WP Engine platform has an automatic backup feature to help ensure that your data is kept safe. These daily backup points can be accessed by visiting the WP Engine user portal, clicking on your install name and then clicking on “backup points.” These backup points contain your database and all theme, plugin, uploads, and core files (save for what’s listed in the Excluded from Backups section at the end of the article).

If the WP Engine-platform does an automatic backup do I still need to back up my database and files? If so, can you give me link to backing up my wordpress files? I found the info for the database but I am not clear on how to back up the files.

I realize now that I have several things to update.. wordpress itself, and several plugins... and I have a few plugs to installs to make the site run faster... I want to make sure everything is backup correctly before i do this.
    thanks again for your help
    Brenda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brenda!

If you're hosting your site on WP Engine then yes, there should be an "automatic backup" feature and you should be good to go with it. It's always safer though to take an additional backup so if you already know how to do this for database, archiving files would be simple:

- access your site main folder via FTP
    - download "everything": the folder should contain directories and files pretty much like on an attached screenshot - all these should be downloaded.

I realize now that I have several things to update.. wordpress itself, and several plugins... and I have a few plugs to installs to make the site run faster...

If I may suggest, the order should be:
    - backup first
    - full update second
    - only after that optimization against speed (if necessary).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.