How Can I Hide Plugins I Cannot Use (BuddyPress and Multisite)?

How Can I Hide Plugins I Cannot Use (BuddyPress and Multisite)?

I do not have BuddyPress installed and don't have a multi-site.

How can I hide the plugins which allow me to install but then I discover they don't work?

../wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpmudev-plugins would be SUPER DUPER if it didn't show me the things I cannot use.

Thank you.

Christopher

• Patrick

Hi @anotheropus

You shouldn't be able to install any plugins that require BuddyPress or multisite if they're not enabled on your site.

Things you cannot use on your site will have the "Install" button replaced by a greyed-out "Requires BuddyPress" or "Requires Multisite" message (screenshots 1 & 2).

If you click on any of those products, you should get a descriptive screen that informs you of the required setup (screenshot 3).

Is this not what you see?

• anotheropus

Hey Patrick,

Thank you for the response.

I use single site WordPress installs -- no Buddy Press and no Multisite.

And when I'm in this WPMUDEV > Plugins page on my site it seems that only about half of the plugins which are either BP or MS are actually disabled.

Most definitely the plugins page does not disable all BP and MS plugins for stand alone WP sites.

I discovered that when I want to install a plugin, I need to open the Learn More page in a new tab (and then unfortunately, scroll down) to see if it has WordPress 3.4.2 listed on the side. It would be much more convenient if it was indicated on the TOP of the Learn More page. Or even better--on the Plugins page above the descriptions.

A nice addition to the plugin page would be three logos/icons right there with (or on top of) the image. The three logos would be WP, BP and MS. And each of them would be seen in one of two states (enabled or disabled).

And if these logos were above the description everyone could see at a glance if the plugin was relevant to them even before they bothered to read the description and get disappointed that they couldn't use the plugin :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The way the plugin page works now I use a lotta time opening new browser windows for each plugin to see if the Learn More will tell me I can use it. I thought of saving myself the grief and taking the time once to go one by one through all of the plugins and create a spreadsheet that indicates which ones are available for which type of WP install.

But that is brutal and I don't have the time--I wish there was a page that just listed all the plugins, with descriptions, but had the three icons so we could know if we can use them.

Thank you for the support.

Best,

Christopher

• anotheropus

Hello again,

FIRST: PLEASE forgive me for the large image upload--but it shows all the plugins and 45 of them I indicated in red which cannot be used on WordPress-but indicate I can install them!

I went through the plugins page and identified 45 plugins which show that they can be installed on my plugins page.

Sadly I'd love to use about 30 of these plugins on my WordPress single installs, and several more which were grayed out (disabled) :slight_frown:

Doing this exercise helped me see what I can and can't use. I hope more of the plugins become available for WordPress.

Also, if you look at the very top of the (GIANT) screenshot, I made three examples of how it would be useful to have the three icons on the Plugins page so we don't need to click through to the Learn More pages.

And even so, it would be very useful on the Learn More pages if the Compatibility section was higher up, above the fold--I use a widescreen laptop and a widescreen external monitor. On both of them I needed to scroll down on 45 Learn More pages to discover compatibility. In fact I needed to scroll down on all of them that aren't grayed out because I didn't know if they were compatible with WordPress.

Another boost for user friendliness would be to put the compatibility icons or info on the Plugins page where the each section expands to give more information.

Compatibility is a significant issue for all users. It could be more readily available and prominent.

And wow there's lots of WPMUDEV plugins I cannot use on WordPress single installs--and I really want to!

Forgive me as I'm new and I've not learned my way around yet, but is there a polling area where members can vote to get plugins higher on the list to be made compatible with WordPress single install?

Thank you for the support, and the amazing resources that do exist for WordPress.

WPMUDEV is superb.

Best,

Christopher

• anotheropus

Okay,

Here are the screenshots, and I'll write a description of each. This will be a listing of the plugins which do not indicated they are exclusively Multisite and/or BuddyPress, but instead show the blue INSTALL or DOWNLOAD button when viewed from within my WordPress 3.4.2 single site install.

Sorry the list is not alphabetized, it's in the order from top to bottom on the plugins page as it was on the day I screenshot it :slight_smile:

And for reference I'm indicating the plugins that I'd LOVE to have available for single site use (if anybody else is listening :slight_smile:

And in case anybody is reading this and notices that some of the plugins I'd like to use seem to have no purpose on a WordPress single site install, I'm using User Sync on my hosting server to sync more than one WordPress single site together.

Screenshot 1:7

1. WHMCS MU Provisioning
    2. Comments Control

AHA!!! And now that I'm not such a newbie here--I see under the Add Screenshot/File link there is tiny, little, wee text, that almost appear to be words which tell the file sizes :slight_smile:

• anotheropus

Screenshot 2:7

3. Comment Spam Pack <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Indicates plugins I'd love to have
    4. Random Theme
    5. Rebranded Meta Widget <<<<<<<<<<<<
    6. New Blog Templates <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Oh this is too much, I've spent a few hours identifying all the plugins one by one from the plugins page, by opening each detail page and checking if it is available for WP 3.4.2 single site.

And I've made the screenshots, and come back and sorted out the screenshots, and listed all the plugins in text so that they're easier to use if anybody needs them, and when I try to submit I get a Slow Down, you're uploading too fast message :slight_smile:

Rich, just rich :slight_smile:

• anotheropus

Too funny!!!

I submitted the post with the screenshot added and the site told me to slow down.

So I thought it didn't create the post!

So I created the post again--but I'm tired so I forgot to attach the image. But the original post was published even though it told me to slow down so we've got the screenshot.

If dev people are listening it'd be a dandy idea to change the response message when people are "posting too fast." The response message should let the user know to slow down, but it should also let the user know that the post was in fact made (as it was in this case).

• anotheropus

Screenshot 3:7

7. bbPress Sitemaps
    8. Set Blog Description <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    9. Global Site Search <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    10. Blogs Directory <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    11. Members Directory <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    12. Signup Code <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    13. Tag Feed
    14. Global Footer Content <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< WOW
    15. Global Author Comments Feed <<<<<<<<<
    16. Batch Create <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!

• anotheropus

Screenshot 4:7

17. Lock Posts <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    18. Blog and User Creator <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!
    19. Update Services
    20. Recent Posts
    21. Remove Email Verification <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    22. Recent Global Comments <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    23. Messaging <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< WOW
    24. Communities
    25. Recent Posts Widget

And now I accidentally click on the Choose file button TWICE and I discover I can upload more than one file at a time!

That would be a nice note to add near the Chose File button :slight_smile:

But I won't add more than one file because there's not enough information. I don't know if the maximum file sizes in the tiny little print are cumulative for all file sizes or if it indicates a per file per Send Post file size. So I'll err on the side of caution and stick to the one at a time upload.

• anotheropus

Screenshot 7:7

38. Dashboard Feed <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    39. Who Sees Ads <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!
    40. Content Monitor <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    41. Comment Form Text <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    42. Avatars <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    43. Invite <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!
    44. Admin Ads <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!
    45. Admin Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AAA WOW!!!
    46. Multi-DB

That's all there is and there is no more.

I hope this helps things get better for everyone. I indicated 36 plugins from these 45 which would be great for WordPress single site users to enjoy. And that's not including the other very useful plugins which indicate that they cannot be installed when viewed from within my WordPress 3.4.2 single site install.

¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° ?appy ??an??g?v?ng everyone °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸

Christopher

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.