How can I improve my site speed more

I'm having a bit of trouble with my website. I have optimized the site using hummingbird as best as possible. I have installed every recommended method of speeding up the site, however, my client still complains that it is slow. I tend to agree with him. Also, Hummingbird's Uptime has sent me regular emails over the past day saying that the site is down. How can I improve my site more?

• viobru

Hi, George!

Hope you’re doing great today :slight_smile:

In order to improve the speed on the site, please consider this options:

- Contact your host and ask them to upgrade PHP to version 7.x or newer, since I see that the site is currently running PHP 5.6.30.
    - Consider installing and configuring an object caching plugin on your site (Redis or Memcached recommended), as suggested by HB.
    - Install Query Monitor and check for slow queries or other errors.
    - Run a DB analysis using phpMyAdmin to see if your MySQL configuration needs further optimization for the site.
    - Reduce the number of plugins installed on the site and clear out any unused plugins and themes.
    - Get rid of old drafts, revisions and other unused content to speed DB queries. WP-Optimize is a great plugin for taking out the "trash" that collects over time in WordPress.

That being said, I’ve been checking Hummingbird performance report and I see that is giving a low score for some images on your site. I’ve checked them and 3 correspond to the images used on the slider while the other one is placed just below it, next to the CTA with the ‘Shop now’ button.

From what I see, the images used on the slider are used as background images that are set to a different size than the one that’s actually loaded, which means that the browser needs to resize them.

I see that you’re using a plugin to create the slider, so you may need to contact the plugin developer in order to ask him/her how to prevent this.

Regarding the other image, seems that this one is loaded at a different size too, so the browser needs to resize it as well, but in this case, this is set on the theme:

So you may need to change this on the theme files or to contact the theme developer in order to achieve this.

Apart from that, after scanning the site on GTMetrix and Pingdom Tools, what seems to be causing the biggest slowness on the site is related to TTFB (Time To First Byte), which means how long does it take to the site/server to actually send the first Byte of data to the end-user.
    Please check this article about how to work towards resolving TTFB issues: https://kinsta.com/blog/ttfb/

Also, as you can see in this image, the process that’s taking much time to finish is the redirect one:

Please check this article about how to Minimize Redirects in WordPress: https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-redirect/

Another bad score on these tests was related to “Remove query strings from static resources”, in order to do so you may want to check this other plugin: https://es.wordpress.org/plugins/remove-query-strings-from-static-resources/.

Finally, another option would be to consider using HB Minification on the site (before start using it, please note that this feature should be used carefully because it has the potential to break the frontend of the site).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Violeta

• George

Hey guys, I've followed ALL Steps except magnification (it breaks the site). The site is running much faster. I still occasionally get a random 500 Error here and there though. They are much further apart than before (only got two in 2 days, but that is too many), and I haven't had any proper downtime yet (Thanks) . Would you mind assisting in helping to find why I got these two 500 ERRORS, and could you also please go through the site one more time to just make sure everything is running as efficiently as possible? Thanks.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello George,

Would you mind assisting in helping to find why I got these two 500 ERRORS, and could you also please go through the site one more time to just make sure everything is running as efficiently as possible?

500 internal server errors are usually result of site hitting memory limits and plugin conflict (there are also other reasons https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/500-internal-server-error/ but they usually result in permanent 500 error).

To investigate this we would need to check your site and enable debug log. But credentials you have provided during chat session are no longer working.
    Can you enable debug log? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

kind regards
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello George,

Those are only notices - what you need to look for is some type of Error (like Fatal Error). But it will only show when the 500 internal server error will be present again on the site.
    If there 500 was not showing after you have enabled debug mode, then in the file there wont be information about it.
    You have to wait for error to occur and then check debug.log.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.