How can I keep email privacy for friends plugin?

I don't want friends searches to give back a list for email pattern matches, only results for public info like username or public profile stuff. What's the best way to still invite or friend by email address, but not return a list of members that match address patterns? I think members would feel more secure not having usernames returned for email address searches for bigger sites. I'm trying to do something like invite and friends, where someone can send a friend request/invite knowing email address but not return a list, like friending someone that may or may not be on the site and that may or may not want you to know their user id.
thank you!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Aurelio,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

The plugin never actually shows the email to anyone. I know most social networks offer searching by email feature.

I do see your point on the showing results before the full email is entered. The reason it is doing this is because it searches for the same pattern in all 3 fields, display name, username, and address.

To bring up the specific person by email they will still need to enter their full email, or if they do enter part of it, they won't be able to find out what the rest is :slight_smile:

Either way, I am marking this as a feature request so the developer can have a look and decide whether it is something they can implement for a future version!

If you still have further questions on this I would be more than happy to assist!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Aurelio

Cool! Thank you Tyler. That's good to know. I know there are sites where email address for users is not public, so you can't search for people just knowing their email address but I suppose some of them do let you do that. This is intended to have a few more privacy options than some :slight_smile:
    I've been trying to find a good way to let people friend each other though, by knowing email address or searching public profile information, like this does, but have concerns returning any info on a profile by default for any queries on stuff that is not public. Is there any other way or of plugin you recommend trying to let people friend others by searching public information only? I guess you can enter email addresses in Facebook but it strikes me wrong being able to enter even full email addresses and pull up profiles unless those are considered public.

The site I am thinking of has a separation between their profile identity and their other non-public information like email address, but of course let you share that with friends. I like the invite plugins that let you enter a list of email addresses and it sends your username to them with instructions to register if they're not already members and let you personalize the invite if you want, but they don't help as much linking friends. My ideal plugin would let you search public profile info, and send a friend request from results or for email addresses but only acknowledge an email address goes with a profile once they confirm friendship.

For an additional feature suggestion, could you see if the ability to add another public, searchable field is possible? Being able to add a custom searchable profile field or search their bio would be awesome since they're told that may be public. I realize there may be some work cut out and wonder if you may have suggestions on where to start.
    Thank you for any advice or direction!

• Aurelio

I'm totally cool with people searching by or even listing email address if they want those to be public, visible to friends or searchable, like for their business or something, I just don't want anyone's email addresses exposed or associated with their profile unless they want it to be. I hope your day's going good too! No huge hurry, I've been trying to think how to do this for a while and trying different things to balance letting people friend and connect usefully but keep certain privacy options so get if it's not a simple or standard type of question.

• Aurelio

Hi Vinod,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am ok either way.
    I am no stranger to inserting code where it is good and necessary. My main goal is not to "fight" anything, to work with the force. You tell me the best way please. I love your plugins and just want to know the best way to give my users privacy that their email address is not compromised in any way by joining my site. My best case scenario is a checkbox they can choose to let their email be included in lookup or not. Actually, my best case scenario in all plugins comes back to how I can enable users to control things, half laziness and half idealism :slight_smile:

• Aurelio

And I realize drilling down by name is the point of the plugin, at least for me :slight_smile: I didn't mean that part and was just confused. The concern was just being able to know someone uses a particular domain or email address and looking them up from there, for members who don't want people to look them up by email. It's a cool feature if they want their email addresses searchable. Ideally, I'd love to give users a checkbox to decide if they can be found by email address, but if that's too much work to change I totally understand.

• Aurelio

I'm not sure if I'm just being overly cautious, but I'd also rather not have results returned for partial email addresses if possible. I'm not sure this is an issue, so it's not huge, but wonder, if we're all using pseudo names that don't reflect our email addresses, since those are somewhat private, the return on partial email addresses might cause confusion.
    For example, a drag queen named Sashe has an email andy@gmail, but searches for andy@gmail would also return members who have the emails sandy@gmail, mandy@gmail, etc. I could be overthinking that one but I wonder.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.