How can I limit the renewal time

For each different subscription, I have a different length or program. So I want people paying monthly but only for 12 months 9 months or 3 months....

How do I set that up so I do not have to give refunds wen it is done?

Or do I have to go in and cancel their membership?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @JMGreenman

I hope you are well today.

Could you not take payments for 3 months, then have a subscription for 9 months and then one for 12 months, would this be easier? As then you could use the Finite setting so they stay at that subscription for a set amount of time, but don't auto-renew. Would that work for you?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• JMGreenman
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

No, because they offer different things...

I am just confused.
    When I set up a subscription plan for one program I want for 3 months.

I want it to renew every month for 3 months.
    I want it to allow them access to certain information for that time only.
    Then i want the option to renew for another 3 months.

I want 3 programs (levels)
    One that lasts 12 months and gives only certain information.
    One for 3 months and one for 9 months.

But each renews for that amount of time automatically and then at the end can be renewed for that amount of time again.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @JMGreenman

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay.

Thank you for the additional information.

What you will want to do is set the 3 access levels with the correct content protection you want for that level. Each access level also has a shortcode for protecting the content, for example one of my test one is

[level-test-level-2] and you'd use [/level-test-level-2] at the end of the content you wish to protect.

Once you have your access levels and content protection settings all set-up. You'd then create your subscriptions.

So each subscription would for example in your case, you'd have a

-3 Month subscription
    -9 Month subscription
    -12 Month subscription

On the "add new subscription page" you'd drag your access level over, then you get some options, they will be mode:

Finite: User remains at this level for a set period of time before ending

Indefinite: User remains at this level for ever

Serial: User remains at this level for a set period of time before renewing at the same level

So in your case, you'd want to use the serial option and set your time period (choose months from the dropdown box). And set your price. You'd want to use PayPal express gateway for your subscriptions (if your going to use PayPal that is).

I hope this all makes sense.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• JMGreenman
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

So when I set the period of time as say 3 months - using paypal it will charge them once for the price or monthly for three months the price?

That is what I am trying to ensure.

If I put 12 months at a price of $97 - with serial - will it charge 97 a month for 12 months or $97 for a 12 month period and renew in 12 months?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @JMGreenman

I hope you are well today and sorry about the extreme delay with my reply.

If using a subscription on serial payments for say 12 months, it will charge them the cost for those 12 months in one payment and then renew their membership automatically and charge them after the 12 month period is up :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.