How can I map a subdomain?

Hi,

I have a website, itsbuiltforyou.com which is where my IP address points to in the domain mapping plugin. I’m trying to move things away from there and use sites.itsbuiltforyou.com as the main domain to register websites at. The only issue is when I set up domain mapping with the IP address, it goes back to itsbuiltforyou.com.

Is there a way to have this go directly to sites.itsbuiltforyou.com? Would I have to speak to my hosting provider?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings fromscratch,

Thank you for these great questions.

I believe this is only the beginning of your trouble with this one considering that you said you want users to create sites at sites.itsbuiltforyou.com which means that created sub sites, if they indeed work at all, will be sub sites of sub sites. i.e. mydomain.sites.itsbuiltforyou.com

Please consider the consequences of having sub domains of sub domains in which I anticipate to be several.

In addition, reverse IP indicates that this is not a dedicated IP to your WordPress installation as it should be as shown below:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—14 domains hosted on IP address 207.45.181.193

Web Site

artsonstageny.com

canwang.info

cglasserconstruction.com

And more.

Now on to your questions.

I’m trying to move things away from there and use sites.itsbuiltforyou.com as the main domain to register websites at.

To even have a chance to get this to work correctly you would need to assign the sub domain sites.itsbuiltforyou.com itself to the dedicated IP and remove the TLD itsbuiltforyou.com to another IP and DNS the sub domain from the TLD to the new dedicated IP.

Would I have to speak to my hosting provider?

You may want to enlist the help of your hosting provider with this chore if you are not familiar with DNS.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings fromscratch,

Certainly you can map a domain to a directory if you indeed have a directory install.

But that will not let you out of the dedicated IP issue and/or having issues if you do not have a dedicated IP.

Please advise as to what you plan to do about the dedicated IP situation.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.