How can I reduce loading delay with multi-site

HI,

When I look at our site on Pingdom, (it is on a WP multi-ste and it is not the primary domain), I notice that more then half the loading time is for:

http://*Primary domain*/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=domainmap-setup-cdsso

Is this due to the nature of a multi-ste? In other words, should I change it to a single site somehow?

Or will it help to make the domain in question the primary domain?

• Michelle Shull

Hello, Allart! Hope you're doing well today.

To an extent, yes, this is going to be an issue with a multisite install. Multi-sites use a lot (A LOT) of resources, and with adding Domain Mapping and Multi-Domains, that's going to make the load time even longer.

I'm not sure making that domain the primary domain will increase your page load time, and I hesitate to tell you to go to single site if you still want to use a network of sites.

What kind of hosting environment are you on? How much physical RAM do you have on your installation? Is it a dedicated host/VPS or are you working out of a shared hosting setup?

Thanks, Allart!

• Allart

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm a s SiteGround Cloud (VPS) environment.

According to SiteGround:
    3072MB DDR3 RAM

I'm very worried about the slow loading times, so if I read that a multi-site takes up a lot of resources, I'm thinking about making my main site a stand alone of this Cloud set up and moving the rest to a separate must-site. For those, I do not care that much about the loading times.

However, I understand that doing that is a major undertaking, and I would not want to do it if I get little improvement from it :wink:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Allart,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

Often slow loading times on a Multisite is due to plugins. Multisites can get bloated with plugins very easily because with so many different sites it is tempting to use lots of different plugins for all their needs/wants.

You can try increasing your PHP memory limit by adding this line to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

That should help if your site is every slowing down because it's close to it's memory limit :slight_smile:

You can also try these quick ways to help speed up your site as well: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/5-quick-ways-to-speed-up-your-wordpress-site/

Once the request is received, there shouldn't be a very noticeable difference between the mapped or unmapped domain.

Keep us updated Allart!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.