How can I style the front end admin bar differently for each site on a multisite?

How can I style the front end admin bar differently for each site on a multisite?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The front-end admin toolbar can be styled by adding custom CSS either to theme's style.css file (preferably to child-theme style.css file) or via a plugin such as e.g. Simple Custom CSS or our own Ultimate Branding.

To apply separate styles to admin toolbar on different sub-sites of you Multisite WordPress you may want to take a different approach though and add CSS rules to WP header via a hook used as MU (Must Use) plugin.

Take a look at this code please:

<?php
    function wpmu_adminbar_styles_multisite() {

// first let's find out current blog ID
    	$blog_id = get_current_blog_id();	

// now apply styles depending on this ID

switch ($blog_id) {
    		case 1:
    			?>
    			<style type="text/css">
    				#wpadminbar .quicklinks a {font-weight:bold;}
    			</style>
    			<?php
    			break;
    		case 2:

/* add other styles for individual blogs the same way as above */

default:
    			?>

HERE GOES DEFAULT STYLE

<?php 

}
    }
    add_action('wp_head', 'wpmu_adminbar_styles_multisite');

The number after word "case" are IDs of sub-sites (and "1" is always main site). The "HERE GOES DEFAULT STYLE" should be replaced with a style block that will be used as default in case sub-site of particular ID isn't supported by the code. You'll therefore want to adjust this code to your needs.

To apply it to your site follow these steps:

1. adjust the code to your needs (add "case... break;" block including custom styles)
    2. create an empty file with a .php extension
    3. paste the code there
    4. upload the file to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder via FTP or cPanel File Manager

If there's no "mu-plugins" folder inside "wp-content" folder, please create it.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.