How can I take off all options except Link?

I want my users only to be able to post a Link - how can I take the other options off?

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. But I think this will do the job:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

What you'll have to do is to hide all the menus that you don't want to show in your WP dashboard. These menus will be invisible to all users, including administrators.

The pro version of this popular plugin will let you show/hide menus based on user capabilities, roles or user names.

I hope this helps!

• Nicolap1
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for responding! But I've realised I didn't make myself clear. This is about Status.

My users will only be able to post links from the frontend. So, in the frontend layout, I need to take off all the options except Link. Is that possible?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nicolap1,

Thank you for this great question, it is certainly appreciated.

I indeed took a look at the coding of this plugin and could not see the exact lines of code to remove so these options are no longer available/presented.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Lorange

Hello Nicola,

I just had a quick look on a site (not mine) using this plugin and you should be able to hide the unwanted icons like this:

Add the following code into your theme stylesheet (usually style.css):

#bpfb_addPhotos {
    	display: none !important;
    }

#bpfb_addVideos {
    }

If you don't want to lose your changes when you upgrade your theme you may want to consider creating a child theme to add these customizations: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes (but this is not a requirement).

I hope it works for you!

• Lorange

Ok, I've just installed the plugin and here is the CSS code you will need:

#wdqs-generic-switch {

#wdqs-video-switch {

#wdqs-image-switch {
    }

Please tell me if it works.

• Nicolap1
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks, I put that in my theme (Headway) style.css but it didn't make any difference.

Also, i'm now worried that if I simply hide the first three options using css, the form will still think it is selecting the first one, ie Status? Because the pointer won't have moved.

• Nicolap1
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Right, so, thinking about this, how about trying:

1. Make Link the first option on the form

2. Hide the other three options with CSS

That would avoid hacking the code much, or at all, except changing the order of the options.

Could anybody help with that? Thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

In the latest plugin release (v1.6, just released), you can have fill control over the output template - just copy over the link template file form "lib/forms/link_preview.php" in the plugin directory to your theme root directory and rename it "wdqs-link_preview.php". From that point on, that's the file that the plugin will use instead of the default one. This is, for an example, how you might want to make it look in order to hide everything except the link itself:

<div class="wdqs wdqs_link wdqs-link-container">
    	<p class="wdqs-link-to-source"><a target="_blank" <?php echo $extra_link_attributes; ?> href="<?php echo $link; ?>"><?php echo $link;?></a></p>
    	<div class="wdqs-text-container">
    		<p><?php if (!$link) echo $text; ?></p>
    	</div>
    	<div style="clear:both"></div>
    </div>
  • PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.