How Can I Update CoursePress Theme?

Hello,

*** This ticket is NOT about CoursePress plugin. It's about the CoursePress Theme. The system wouldn't allow me to select this theme so to get this submitted I've had to select the plugin ****

A developer I hired installed CoursePress theme on my site as well as the CoursePress plugin.

He failed to tell me in was installing the premium version of these and I have now dispensed with his services.

I've updated to the current version of the plugin within my new wpmu dev dashboard but I can't find anyway to update the theme. I currently have v1.0 installed.

I've searched for the theme in the wpmu dev search bar but it's not coming up.

How do I update this theme?

Thanks.

• CatSnap

I've been doing some more research about this which has left me even more confused.

Aside from my original question about how I update the CoursePress theme please can you also answer the following:

1.) What is the difference between the CoursePress theme and plugin? It's not at all clear on your website. Is for instance the CoursePress theme the free limited feature version and the plugin the pro version?

2.) Do I need the Coursepress theme AND CoursePress plugin to set up courses on my website?

You can probably tell from my questions that I really don't understand how these interface with each other. Please can you be SUPER clear and detailed about how these two different component work and what it is each of them do.

Many thanks.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @CatSnap,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your questions.

*** This ticket is NOT about CoursePress plugin. It's about the CoursePress Theme. The system wouldn't allow me to select this theme so to get this submitted I've had to select the plugin ****

Yes this is because we don't provide CoursePress Theme as a standalone theme but bundled with the CoursePress plugin.

How do I update this theme?

The is bundled with the CoursePress plugin so to update the theme you have to copy it from the following latest version of CoursePress plugin directory

coursepress/themes/coursepress/

And then delete the existing old coursepress theme from the following path and add the above latest coursepress theme in place of it.

/wp-content/themes/coursepress/

1.) What is the difference between the CoursePress theme and plugin? It's not at all clear on your website.

The CoursePress plugin provides the actual functionality required to create courses and the CoursePress theme provides look which will be suitable to display these courses.

Find information about WordPress theme and plugin on the following pages.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins

Is for instance the CoursePress theme the free limited feature version and the plugin the pro version?

Not at all.

2.) Do I need the Coursepress theme AND CoursePress plugin to set up courses on my website?

The CoursePress plugin is required to set up courses on your WordPress website but It's not necessary to use CoursePress theme with CoursePress plugin and you can use any theme which you want to use.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• CatSnap

Vinod,

Thanks for you reply. You explained things very clearly.

Unfortunately I already discovered that the plugin is linked to the theme as my previous developer had customised the theme in a couple of ways. However, when I updated the plugin all of this custom work was lost since he made changes to the following files and those changes have now been wiped:

CoursePress: Page Template (page.php)
    CoursePress: archive-course.php
    CoursePress: Archives (archive.php)
    CoursePress: Single Post (single.php)

I'll have to see if I have a backup so I can retrieve the work he did.

In the meantime, a couple of further questions:

1.) Is there a way to customise the theme (and specifically the pages I mention above) so that if I update the plugin the custom work isn't erased?

2.) How can I remove the side bar from ALL the Courses pages? i.e. no side bar is displayed in any unit or any course I create AND the course content uses the full page width.

I've tried using the following custom CSS using the "Simply Custom CSS" plugin:

.post-type-archive-course #content {
    width: 100%;
    }
    .post-type-archive-course .sidebar {
    display: none;
    }

However, that makes no difference to anything. Even before I added that code, the side bar was not displaying (not sure if I've got some other setting somewhere else removing it) but the dead space where the side bar used to be isn't been taken advantage of by the course content which remains bunched up to the left, as if the side bar still existed.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17713251/2015-05-06_13-46-43.jpg

Thanks.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @CatSnap,

Unfortunately I already discovered that the plugin is linked to the theme as my previous developer had customised the theme in a couple of ways. However, when I updated the plugin all of this custom work was lost since he made changes to the following files and those changes have now been wiped:

1.) Is there a way to customise the theme (and specifically the pages I mention above) so that if I update the plugin the custom work isn't erased?

You should never edit the theme files in the plugin as you have to make these changes again after plugin updation as changes made in the plugin file get lost on plugin updation.

You should copy the coursepress theme from coursepress plugin directory in to themes directory /wp-content/themes/ and then create a child theme of it as described here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/

In this child theme you can make any custom changes of the theme by overwriting the theme template files so that these changes won't get lost on coursepress plugin and theme updation.

2.) How can I remove the side bar from ALL the Courses pages? i.e. no side bar is displayed in any unit or any course I create AND the course content uses the full page width.

To achieve this try using the following CSS code using the "Simply Custom CSS" plugin that you are using.

.single-course #primary,
    .post-type-archive-course #primary {
    width: 100%;
    }
    .single-course #secondary,
    .post-type-archive-course #secondary {
    display: none;
    }

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• CatSnap

Vinod,

I'm afraid your code to make the course content use the full page width isn't working.

http://www.mywebsite.com/courses - this is using the full width.

http://www.mywebsite/courses/example-training/ - this is using the full width

http://www.mywebsite/courses/example-training/units - NOT using the full width

http://www.mywebsite/courses/example-training/units/introduction-2/page/1/ - NOT using the full width

I did my best in my OP to example that I wanted the course content contained in each unit to make use of the full page width but perhaps for some reason I'm not explaining this very well.

Did you look at the screenshot. I'm not sure how I can explain this any better?

What isn't clear?

Thanks.

• CatSnap

Ash,

I inputted the code you gave me into My Custom CSS which I already had installed.

However, it's not working. The unit content course content is still not using the full page width.

Please check the Test unit I set up.

(Yes, I have cleared WP Super Cache which was already turned off anyway).

Please can you have a look at this again.

What I thought was a simple issue is taking a very long time to resolve. I'd be grateful if you could double check any CSS before you give it to me to make sure it does the job otherwise we'll keep on having to go back and forth on this.

Many thanks.

• Ash

Hello @CatSnap

Sorry I did a type. The correct code is:

.single-course #primary,
    .post-type-archive-course #primary,
    .cp-wrap  #primary{
    width: 100% !important;
    float: left !important;
    }

If it sill doesn't work for you, would you please grant support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access so that I can check?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• CatSnap

I don't know if this is the related to the CSS code you asked me to add or is a separate bug...

Currently, the formatting of the "Discussions" tab is all messed up.

If you go to the "Test Test" course I set up for you, you'll see what I mean.

I've added 3x example questions along with example replies.

You see that the page looks messy and badly formatted.

I don't know how to to explain this any better other than to say, go to the Test Test course and click on the discussions tab to see what I mean.

How can we fix this?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.