How can I use Chat for Customer Support?

Hello,

I have several questions concerning Chat:

– I’d like to use the chat plugin to answer questions to individual customers, so I’d like to limit the mount of users who can enter the chat to 1 at a time. How to do? And how to make sure not to miss any incoming chat requests?

– How can I customize the wording, i.e. “click here to chat” and so on?

– How can I limit the bottom corner chat to individual pages where to display the chat option?

Thank you for your time!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Poyel,

Thank you for these great questions, they are appreciated.

– I’d like to use the chat plugin to answer questions to individual customers, so I’d like to limit the mount of users who can enter the chat to 1 at a time. How to do? And how to make sure not to miss any incoming chat requests?

This type of use is not the intended use of the plugin therefor it cannot be done without heavy custom coding which is beyond the mandate of this support community.

However, though this may indeed be the case that does not prevent us from trying to find you a workable solution like Skysa plugin

– How can I customize the wording, i.e. “click here to chat” and so on?

By simply replacing the words you want to change in the core files, wordpress-chat.php on or around line 1810.

– How can I limit the bottom corner chat to individual pages where to display the chat option?

This one I have absolutely no answer for and of course once again it is not the intended use.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Poyel
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your answer, I understand the limitations.

What is the best practice not to miss any chats though. I’d like to use the chat as a bottom corner chat and incoming chats can only be noticed if I keep the chat window open all the time – unless I am missing something.

Please advise. Thanks, Poyel.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Poyel,

Thank you for your additional feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

After reading your last post What is the best practice not to miss any chats though and more telling unless I am missing something I am thinking maybe I am indeed missing something.

Therefore lets see what advice @paul the lead developer of the Chat plugin may have in mind regarding this subject to add to our ticket.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@poyel,

For your first question, we are looking into some methods that will allow making the chat session private. This is in discussion but no current decision has been made.

As for your other question…

What is the best practice not to miss any chats though and more telling unless I am missing something

When using the bottom corner chat option. When a user posts a message it will remain part of the chat session until you as the admin ‘clear’ the chat session. So this means users can post messages to chat all during the day. Nothing will be lost. When you open/expand the bottom corner chat window you will all the user messages.

• Poyel

@paul

This is useful, thanks.

What I actually meant is how not to miss any incoming chats at the time they happen. As the chat admin I seem to be only able to know that a new chat request is coming in if the chat window is open, i.e. the Chat now button does not change in color or so making it difficult to notice new incoming chats unless I am actually observing the open chat window.

Any further ideas would be great.

Thanks again for your time,

Poyel

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@poyel, you can enable sounds on the bottom corner tab for the chat. This will play a sound when someone posts a message. I get what you are saying. I’ve only recently taken over support of the chat plugin. Will hopefully have some time to add some enhancements to provide some indication on the ‘new’ chat message.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven’t heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is “Not resolved” in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

• Poyel

Yep PC, this is resolved, thanks for the follow up.

I went ahead with Clickdesk for the time being. They also have a WP plugin which makes integration very simple so I could switch on all the live support features I was looking for easily.

The plugin is here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/clickdesk-live-support-chat-plugin/

The branded version with a link back to them is free, so very feasible to get started here.

Cheers!

Poyel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.