How can I use your members level layer over the avatar and badges?

I really like your badges, member level layer over their avatar and such. How could I use those with my own custom badges and membership levels?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Denver,

Our site actually runs a highly customized version of bbPress. Just about everything you see here was custom coded by our development team.

To briefly explain the custom code, it's just pulling the users role in bbPress and outputting it just below image in the forum theme HTML. Then the CSS makes it show up that way.

Best regards

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I could help get you started on doing something similar, but there's no out of the box way to do it as it's completely custom.

By default, bbPress outputs the avatar and role together like this:

*Image*
    *role*

Then we applied the custom styling to the elements provided by bbPress. The badge isn't actually an overlay, but rather have there's no margin, so they are just touching.

Do you already have gravatars behing pulled into your site with the role beneath? If so this isn't hard to do. If you can show me a page you'd like to do this on, I can help you workout the custom CSS.

Best regards

• Denver
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

gravatars indeed rated G even =) I'm struggling to read WP installation docs from a lot of your hosted apps and where my newly purchased WP theme is at now.

I just learned the differences between tags and categories. And, I have Q&A installed. Not having a good time trying to get that to render in the theme very well and use widget logic to show the side boxes =(

http://www.hosting-4-oscommerce.com Now if WP were like the STS template engine for osCommerce, I'd be done already! LOL

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Denver,

I understand! It's certainly a learning process, but we're here to help whenever we can.

Looks like you were able to get Wordpress installed and up and running ok! Are there any other steps your're having trouble with?

So, do you have a page with the gravatars already? I couldn't seem to find one. If not, no worries we can come back to it whenever is needed.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member. Just Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

No, but that's probably more because the theme doesn't support members inherently, or offer any member features.

So how will members use your site? I don't see any features where they can interact on the front end. Do you have forums on your site? The forums here at WPMU DEV are powered by bbPress.

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Not quite more functions, but whenever your theme doesn't look the way you want it to by default, you can use CSS to change this. Or often a new feature can be added with a plugin. Once you get the forums in place, let me know and we can look at doing the avatar badges.

Best regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.