How can we translate the user's interface for this plugin?

How can we translate the user's interface for this plugin?

Thanks!!

-Paris

• paris_david_escandon

Hi Jack, thanks for responding so quickly! I am trying to translate it to Spanish. I already translated the .pot file from the Q&A plugin language folder. I saved it as qa_Es.mo, qa_Es.pot and qa_Es.po. I uploaded the three of them back into the same folder where I found the original and the plugin is still in English. (The main blog language was already set as Spanish.) I tried leaving different combinations of one or two of the files, without success.

Do you have any suggestions or can you tell what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Paris

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Paris (@paris_david_escandon)

I hope you are well today.

The .pot file should be translated using a tool such as poedit, in poedit with the .pot file you want to go to file > settings > generate .mo file on save.

You will also need to then generate a new catelogue from the .pot file and save as .po

(I hope that makes sense).

The following thread may be of help https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/editing-the-displayed-language-of-qa

Please let me know if this still doesn't work for you or if you need further clarification on anything :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• paris_david_escandon

Thank you Jack, for your help so far.

Could you be more specific with your instructions? I translated the .pot file, saved it as a .mo, created a catalogue (.po) file from the .pot. I then uploaded the files to the language folder. But it still doesn't work.

What do I do with the catalogue file? What should I name it? How much should I fill out in the catalogue screen? Which files should I upload to my server, and which files should exist in the "language" folder? Do I have to translate everything in order for the translation to work (I am only interested in translating the user interface, rather that the backdoor stuff where the settings are). I would really appreciate some more details because I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for everything so far!

- Paris

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Paris,

I hope you are well today, sorry for the extreme delay here, I missed your reply.

The original .pot should be in the language file of Q&A along with your translated .po and .mo files.

These should be called qa-es_ES.mo and qa-es_ES.po

You shouldn't need to translate everything for this to work.

It's also worth noting you'll need define ('WPLANG', 'es_ES'); in your wp-config.php

So just to confirm in the language folder, you should have the original file, then your translated .po and .mo files and add the above define to your wp-config.php.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance. I'm happy to help, sorry again about the delay.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.